Recovery Counsel Not Working

Discussion in 'Software' started by MsLeen, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MsLeen

MsLeen Private E-2

A friend brought her computer to me because it kept rebooting. So I stopped it from rebooting and came up with the error code: 0x00000024 with instructions to run chkdsk

The computer is an HP pavilion 514c. Its running XP (not sure which version, it has no COA on it and all I see in Windows XP before it craps out).

I pressed F10 to go into the recovery drive and it starts and then it just hangs. So I put in an XP disk and pressed R to go into the recovery counsel and it also hangs with the following message at the bottom: Examining 76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi...

Any suggestions would be great! I hope I have provided enough information.

Thanks!
    Edit/Delete Message

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Find out which company made the hard drive, visit their web site, and download their diagnostic tool. The downloads usually create a bootable floppy or CD, which you then boot to (duh) and run the extended in-depth test to be sure the drive is healthy. Many of these tests also have the option to repair any problems found. Alternatively, you can use LSoft's Active@BootDisc. It's VistaPE based and you can run chkdsk from it. It's a bootable utility CD. Check it out at this link. They have a free demo version and I believe it allows you to run most of the features except for data recovery and admin password changing (meaning that chkdsk should be functional ;) ).
    Good luck! And welcome to Major Geeks! :wave :major

[dlb]

3. MsLeen

MsLeen Private E-2

I did a DFT test and hardware wise it passed. I am going to try the other application to get CHSDK to run.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted and thanks for the welcome.

4. MsLeen

MsLeen Private E-2

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your advice. The program worked and now I now I am battling the viruses! Great advice and thanks again!

5. meringue

meringue Private E-2

I have the same problem as this with a Dell Inspiron 6400 running xp. After changing the boot order I have tried to repair from the xp disc and get this message. "examining 76317 mb disk 0 at 1d o on bus 0 on atapi" I can't get anywhere with either install or repair options retruning the same message. I ran the diagnostics test installed on the laptop from Dell and they came up with no errors so whats the next step guys?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

meringue , welcome to MajorGeeks. You need to start a new thread with your problem.
    Go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    and lick the new thread button near the top left.

Mention the computer make and model again and also XP with the SP installed (it does make a difference).
    Explain what lead you up to the fact that you feel you need a repair (any errors or BSODs, etc).
    Also mention if you've tried things like a system restore point or safe mode to remove something or last known good configuration.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds