Recycle Bin On External Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex30, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,
    I use an external hard drive for music and video storage and recently noticed that it seemed fuller than expected. On looking at the contents of the external with a disk report programme I discovered that there was 20 GB given up to a recycle bin. I revealed this by showing hidden files and folders and was about to delete the bin when a warning came up saying other things may not work if I did so.
    So my question is , is it safe to delete this recycle bin and what are the ramifications, if any , of doing so ?
    Any help would be great.
    Regards Alex

2. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

I would not delete the Recycle Bin (I don't think you actually can), but instead, from your desktop, right click the Recycle Bin, select Properties, and from there check the box for Configure Drives Independently. From that point, look for your external drive letter, click on that tab, then you can move the slider for space reserved/used down to however much you want to use (as a percentage of the drive). You MAY have to do this every time that you disconnect/reconnect the drive.

3. Alex30

Hi ,
    Thanks Tux rules. Unfortunately although I have tried to limit the external bin size to 1GB it still reads as taking up 20GB .
    When I was going to delete the bin I got to the confirmation of action stage before it came up with the warning so it seemed that deletion was possible although maybe if I had actually confirmed it could have come up with a not possible message. What I don't understand is that when I delete anything of my external it always goes to the PC recycle bin so I am unsure where the external bin fits in.
    Alex

4. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

What operating system do you have?

5. Alex30

Hi,
    I am on Windows 7 which as an aside I much prefer to Vista [which kept crashing my apps] and XP [ which was OK but not quite got the functionality of Win 7.]
    Alex

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds