Red Switch on Back of PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zomg1337~, Jun 26, 2006.

1. zomg1337~

zomg1337~ Private E-2

im new to computers and my computer was broken so i pressed the switch on the back of the power supply and it burnt out

my computer was quite expensive, especially my video card and processor and hard drives. i know that my power supply is dead, but is there a chance that my motherboard, video card, ram, hard drives, processor, etc. could have been destroyed by this power surge as well?

my power supply was an enermax 535W power supply, and in the instruction manual it says it has over voltage protection, overload protection, short circuit protection, over current protection, and overtemperature protection. woult these things help keep my video card and processor safe or is there still a large chance that they are burnt out?

i would try my computer with another power supply but i dont have any other power supplies with the right amount of pins to connect my motherboard(mine needs 4 more than my older power supply has) and my pcie x16 video card needs a special connector.

i am going to go to the store sometime next week and see if trying out a different power supply works, but in the mean time, can anyone tell me if it is possible that i damaged the rest of my computer or if there is any way to check? im really worried because it will cost about 3000$ do replace it if everything in their is burnt out.

2. zomg1337~

zomg1337~ Private E-2

yes that is the switch i am referring too but i turned off the computer before switching it and then turned it back on and it caused a poiwer surge and the lights in my house flickered and then my computer died.

worst mistake ever.

3. zomg1337~

zomg1337~ Private E-2

alright, but is there anyway to know how much damage was done, or will i have to wait until i can get a new power supply in it?

using my laptop is quite annoying. it can't even decode h.264 video at a decent framerate, and the keyboard makes it difficult to type on

/off topic

anyhow, i noticed that when i plug in the power cable into the back of my power supply now, it makes a clicking noise, like it is sparking or something. is this a bad sign?

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

When you did that, most likely you burned out your power supply, as I did that same thing a few years ago, so theres no need to worry about damage to your other components. And yes, that clicking is sparking inside, so best leave it unplugged till you can get it repaired.

5. zomg1337~

zomg1337~ Private E-2

alright

i'm going to test out a new power supply at the store tomorrow. hopefully it will also fix some of the other problems i've been having wih my computer recently.

i had actually gotten my computer working pretty good today with vista beta, but then i killed it by hitting that red switch. =x

6. zomg1337~

zomg1337~ Private E-2

brought my computer into the store today. they plugged my power supply into a little plastic box thing to test it, and concluded that it was dead. they then took my computer and said that they would try to fix it. they also made me give them my windows password and stuff, which makes me feel uneasy because all they need to do is switch the power supply with a new one. i don't want them to log into windows and change my settings or format my hard drives, which they said they might do. also, they said that they don't officially support windows vista because it is in beta, so they may have to charge me to install windows xp on there. i told them that all i needed was a new power supply, and that i would even pay for it even though it is still under warranty, but they insisted that it was necessary to take my computer for a week to see if their warranty actually covers it or if it was completely my fault and that i should have to pay to replace it all. i am fine with paying 150$ for a new powr supply, so i don't know why they had to take my whole computer for the week and get my windows password.

if they sign onto my msn messenger account when they boot the computer, i'm going to see if i can kindly ask them to log off and not touch anything. i have quite a bit of irreplacable data such as videos that i have recorded and am in the process of editing, and games on my computer.

they also said that they will prep the computer for windows installation. i don't know why this is necessary, because it already had the vista beta on it and i am fine with using the vista beta because i don't want to pay for a new copy of windows xp if i will have to buy the full version of vista by the end of the year.

i still don't understand why they couldnt just switch out the power supply with a new one and let me keep my computer. oh well. hopefully they don't mess with any of my data, and hopefully they fix some of the other problems i've been having with my computer while they are at it.

i wish computers would just work like they are supposed to without all of these problems. at least the whole computer is covered under warranty, so i can get it replaced if it is damaged.

anyhow, can anyone explain to me why it is necessary for them to take my whole computer for a week and get my passwords if the only problem is my burnt out power supply?

also, if they conclude that it was my fault that the power supply died and not the fault of the hardware, and i therefore need to pay for a completely new power supply because the warranty doesn't cover it, does anyone recommend a different power supply that would power the following specs?

Asus A8N-E motherbaord
    Athlon X2 4200+ processor
    Radeon X1900XT video card
    1GB PC3200 RAM
    300GB Maxtor DimondMax 10 72200 RPM
    150GB Samsung 72000RPM
    BenQ 16x dual layer DVD burner with lightscribe

because i was having trouble with my enermax 535W power supply and it would only work properly if i disconnected one of the two hard drives. i don't think it had enough power to power both hard drives at the same time but maybe that was not the problem. would 600W be enough to power this computer? and would you recommend a modular power supply because there were a lot of extra cables in my computer that were taking up space and making it hard to work in there with the enermax psu and i dont need all of those cables and maybe it would help with the air flow and make it a bit cooler in there?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It isn't .....you could do it yourself, quite easily....@$40.00

8. zomg1337~

zomg1337~ Private E-2

that is what i thought but it think it would cost a bit more than 40$ because i need enough power to run a Radeon X1900XT and Athlon X2 4200+ and multiple hard drives.

the enermax one that i just burnt out costed 100$ and i bought it in february. also, this money is in canadian currency so it would be a bit less in us currency.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Don't know Canadian, but ps I just bought was a 450 watt at $40.00 ....unplug/replug ....very easy.

10. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds