Redefining programs to extensions

Discussion in 'Software' started by ItsWendy, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I thought I knew this, but I guess not. I have 3 problems that are related, this on an old 98se laptop.

1. When I click on a .gif file (or .png, .jpg, or any other graphics standard) I want to call up the file in MSPaint. Instead it wants to use IE Explorer.

2. If IE Explorer is already called up, the files display fine, but if not, then I get a missing componenets error.

3. In my XP machines .png works fine with MSPaint, but not on 98SE. Do I need to update the paint program or is there some other work around?

Guys, I don't want to use anything but Paint for this application, please don't recommend any other graphics programs. Thanks. BTW, none of this is a problem on my XP machine.

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Think this might be what you want, but don't have Win98 to look.

control panel > folder options > file types, change association

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, I've used an open folder,

Explorer/View/Folder Options/File Types

I click on the extension in question, and edit it. I get the following message...

Attached Files:

4. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

A lot of the problems revolve around Paint and Win98SE, Paint on XP is much better integrated.

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

As far as I know, Bill, MSPaint circa the Win98SE era didn't support .gif, .jpg, or .png formats. It did support .bmp and .dib which are bitmap formats. I used to use MSPaint to do my work, then I'd use a conversion program like Irfanview to get a .jpg or .gif for web pages that I was designing. :) Hope that helps.

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, I have a hard head. I thought Win98SE Paint was the same as XP Paint, which it is obviously not.

Several other feature of XP has me spoiled, the thumbnails specifically. 98SE has some 3rd party software that allows this, but it is integrated better into XP.

The only format I can not use for 98SE Paint is .png, the rest work, you just can't open the formats in Paint, but have to load them from Paint.

Learned a bit more this weekend. Didn't like what I learned, but that's life.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

:mad Hey, don't you going stealing my line.:mad ...I've been saying that just about every weekend for years!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds