reformat HD problem . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gooble, Jan 17, 2007.

1. gooble

gooble Private E-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I should have posted in hardware but I have to reformat my hard drive, problem is I dont have a floppy drive and I also can't get into the drive which i want to reformat! I get a BSOD at startup, I installed IE 7 and when i restarted I got the BSOD just after the xp welcome screen, when I boot in safemode i can get in but the first task i try and do will just BSOD my pc, however I can boot into my 2nd harddrive and access the non functioning/problem harddrive. I have backedup my important files on another external HD and now I think the best thing to do is just reformat the problem drive and reinstall my win XPpro but how do I reformat/clean without bieng able to boot into that drive and with no floppy disc drive ! sorry if this a basic problem but i am a noob and I couldn't find much helpfull stuff when i googled this problem . . .

2. Danny5

Danny5 Private E-2

Why dont you just run the XP CD? It will ask you if you want to format when installing.

3. I-O-W-A

I-O-W-A Private E-2

if you dont plan on putting the OS back on the hard drive just boot up on your working one the go to my computer right click on the damaged one an click format that way its a clean drive an you can use it just for storing an not actually having an OS on

4. gooble

gooble Private E-2

I need to install the OS on the drive so maybe I can just reformat with the XP CD like Danny suggested! . .

5. I-O-W-A

I-O-W-A Private E-2

yeah that would b your best bet, its a lot simpler if you have a floopy drive, i woud recommend getting one

6. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

You may also try a repair with the CD

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds