Reformat procedure needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loninappleton, Feb 24, 2013.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I'm tryting to get two older Seagate hardrives prepared to sell locally.

These Seagate 160 Gb drives come with Seatools. Seatools coughs up anything that isn't 137 Gb and says that XPhas to be installed to then return to Seatools and fix the partitions. I got through one drive by backing out at the point the serial number had to be installed. On the second, I just got into a loop of Seatools asking for the same thing over and over again.

What is a good tool to wipe a drive that someone can use to clone etc?

I do not know how to use Fdisk. And I don't want to tie up a machine for 8 hours or more while one of the Hirens tools made in 2003 grinds away.

There must be an answer to this.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) will do *any* size drive I've ever tried.
    But even with the quick wipe you may just have to let it run overnight.
    The 137 GB barrier is an issue with DOS (FAT32) if I recall, that technology is getting old to me now. DBAN is a Linux disk that doesn't have that issue.

3. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Ok. I think I have DBAN on an ISO disk that should make replugging less of a problem. I just don't want to put something up for resale untested or with personal items on it.

'Been bidding in ebay auctions for one or two 320Gb drives and always get bid up above what I think they are worth ($21 or $22 shipped.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds