reformatted my XP, now no internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boardhead, Oct 24, 2009.

1. boardhead

boardhead Private E-2

Our Dell Inspiron worked fine but slow, so I reformatted and reinstalled. The device manager says the ethernet adapter is connected and running 100 Mbps, but I get no Internet. No firewall running. In ipconfig, I get a 169 auto config IP address and no default gateway address. I have a wireless card that did not access either, so I redid it just using the hard line. Tried to ping yahoo and it could not find it. I'm doing this on my wife's computer while she is out of town - suppose to be a surprise, fast computer again, when she gets back. So far, I see the doghouse for me. HELP!

2. boardhead

boardhead Private E-2

What sort of internet connection? DSL router/modem

What was the new OS installed? All the way back to XP version 1

How was it set up previous to the format, Wired to the modem or Wireless behind a router? It ran either way - I'd go hard wired when I was looking for more speed.

Installed the driver for your wireless Nic? I have not loaded the wireless as yet. Wanted to do all the Windows updates on the hardwire first.

Can you post a screenshot of your open Device Manager and IP config/ all? sure thing - see below. Device manager recognizes the ethernet card with no alerts.
    Thanks for your help - I am in the dog house!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jill>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jillslaptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Jill>

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Have you unplugged the modem for at least twenty seconds, since the re-install?

Sometimes it (the modem) may not recognize the PC after a fresh install.

4. boardhead

boardhead Private E-2

You dont have a default gateway address for your LAN adaptor which you will need to access the internet.

Check all your physical connections and equipment (modem).
    TURN OFF THE POWER to you computer, modem and anything else that is connected to your computer as suggested by The mekanic.

Did that - the only thing connected is the mouse and modem.

Then......Check all cables and connections are secure, in good condition and that they are plugged into the correct ports.

Seems to be OK - unless it is a bad cable - I can try swapping it with the one I'm on now.

Check that your modem is connected properly to the phone jack. Check that all equipment connected is in the correct order.

Two other computers are working fine.

Turn the power on. Power the modem on.
    Are the modems lights on - Power, Status, Link/Act and Ethernet? Is the Link/Act light on and constant?

Lights on the modem look good.

Is the link light on you computer lit?

The only light on the laptop is the power light. Not sure another one lit up before. ipconfig below... Thanks again for your help.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jill>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jillslaptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Jill>

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't want to derail this thread since I don't understand ipconfig settings or how to tweak them. So Mekanic and DigitalLocksmith please remain primary contributors to this thread.

My only comment is that your Physical Address for your network card is zeros. Shouldn't it be a memory address like 01-f4-9Z-03-F9? I'm wondering if you installed the correct network card driver? Did you use a driver CD or use your Dell Tag number to get the driver?

Can you give any more details of what is says in Device Manager for the network card.

6. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

sach is correct, that is the issue, the MAC address should be displayed there. Sounds like a driver issue. Have you tried updating the NIC drivers?

7. boardhead

boardhead Private E-2

My bad... I thought I went through all the discs - one said not required, but it had the NIC driver on it. It is now going through the myriad of Windows updates from version 1. Thanks for everyone's help. Forums like this are a god send.

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Glad it is sorted. It's getting a bit chilly for sleeping in the doghouse. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds