Refrigerator Magnets on Your Tower?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjet, Jun 11, 2004.

1. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

While I was wondering around somewhere else I saw someone who wanted to know if it was safe to do that. My first thought was that a magnet close to a magnetic storage device was a bad idea. But someone told them it was ok because it was a small and weak magnetic field.
    I don't know why this is buging me. Anyone have an opinion?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Fridge magnets are really not very strong at all, and in any case it'll disperse a lot if you attached it to the case. Magnets in hard drives are VERY strong (if you get em stuck together you need to pry them appart with a screwdriver), and hard drives are very heavily sheilded (or stuff from all over the place would just stick to them).

I doubt you'd cause any permenant damage by attaching one to a large sheet of metal, which would disperse it even before it got to a part thats sensitive, that would have sheilding anyway. But its still not a good idea.

Floppy drives are another thing entirley ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds