''refurbished'' As/micro Sd Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I am curious if its possible at all to ''fix'' or take a part an sd card

Aside from re formatting it with a proprietary software from someone like sandisk or sony, it seems unlikely the sd card will be actually ''fixed''.

The reason i bring this question up is because i recently purchased an sd card from a local small business. This card has a label of ''refurb'' on the sticker and is from sandisk. The vendor told me that most if not all are customer returns that went back to sandisk and since they can't label them as new anymore they put ''refurb''.

These cards are about 40% cheaper than the brand new ones and come in a sandisk envelop with ''refurbished product'' written on it. Normally a sandisk 64 sd class 10 card would be about 18.00 but i got this one for $10.00

Came home tested it with some software, and the speeds are actually better than some other cards i have, i got no errors reported when filling the card with ''fake data'' to check it actually has 64 gb available ( fake cards are sometimes labeled as 64 gb but sometimes only have 1 gb of usable space).

I am wondering if any brands like samsung, sony, sandisk etc.. actually take the card apart to ''fix'' them.
    I am very doubtful and the most i believe they would do is run some sort of formatting software. What are people opinion on this matter?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

As far as actually repairing these cards, it all depends on what is wrong with them. If there is a cracked case, they can replace the case. If there is a "cold" solder joint, they can touch an iron to it and repair the joint. If there is a bad memory "chip" inside the device, they can replace the bad chip.

But would they? Probably not. It only takes a second and virtually no skill to insert a returned card in to a reader and note a red bad or green good indicator light. If good, it goes in one pile to be repackaged and resold as refurbished.

If physically damaged or it fails testing, it most likely is tossed in the recycle bin. Actually repairing the card would take additional manpower, skills, training, tools, a whole inventory of replacement parts, and a place for the tech to work. All that would most likely cost much more than any profit they might have saved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds