Refurbished Dell Optiplex 760

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by go2ri2l, Feb 4, 2012.

1. go2ri2l

go2ri2l Private E-2

I just bought a Refurb. Dell Optiplex 760 with Vista Business to replace an old dead desktop. I plugged it in, but it makes a series of beeps, lights up the power button, the fan is running, but it doesn't light up the monitor or recognize the keyboard, or of course, the usb mouse. I've contacted the ebay seller, (99.7% rating) but am wondering if there are any simple suggestions in meantime.Thank you!

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The series of beeps can be used to determine what the problem is. How many beeps does it do before pausing and is the next set of beeps the same?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. go2ri2l

go2ri2l Private E-2

Ah, thank you! I didn't realize there was a Morse Code involved with the beeps. 1 long, 3 short, 2 short. The 3 and 4 are solid green, so it looks as if it's a memory problem. I'll call the company tomorrow, and see what they'll do.
    Thanks again, Major Geekers!

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Depending how comfortable you are with working with hardware you may want to unplug the computer and open the case and try reseating the memory modules. Perhaps something got loosened during shipping.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds