reg editor

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jan 12, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    If you want to backup the entire registry with the editor, what do you put in the "save as type"?By default it is 'registration files'.

Does this do a more comprehensive job than Windows system restor?

Does ERUNT do a better job?

Thank you - Peter

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Click on File (in the menu for regedit) then Export. That saves the entire registry with a reg extension. If you want to reuse it, you can either click it and get a popup to merge or open regedit again, click File and select Import.

I have not used ERUNT since windows 2000 so I can't answer that.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Sorry plodr but it just isn't possible to backup the entire registry in a reg file. You have to use the System State backup for that, or Erunt. The registry is not a single file and this is not a simple question. For those who really want to understand its structure and how to back it up you won't find a better treatise than THIS.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

The article regarding registry backup was very comprehensive but very confusing for my level. I think I shall stick with sytem restore often and Acronis weekly
    I wish I could use ERUNT but it also seems hard to do.
    Thank you all.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

An excellent strategy. Wish more users would adopt it :cool

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you , B. ;)

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Whoa, friend? rolleyes
    What's so difficult?

You start by clicking OK on the first prompt, then APPEND Any description you want at the END of the Default location and Folder Name,
    and then click OK.
    ERUNT_01.jpg
    Done.

Restoring is even Easier.

Go to the Folder that contains the registry backup you want to use and RUN (double click) ERDNT.EXE, then Confirm by clicking OK.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Personally this is the best route as a separate registry backup is inherently dangerous to use as its not always going to be apt for the PC in question.

What makes you think you need to backup the registry Peter? its a none issue in the main and many make it out to be more an important thing than it actually is, as TBH you should really not me messing with the registry and thus it becomes null.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds