Regisrty problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by nosmada, Nov 20, 2008.

1. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

Hi,
    :cry
    I have vista basic installed and had problems with lexmark printer, uninstalled printer to re install but that is when problem started, on re install it would not install to default program location, stating invalid path, eventually I decided to edit the registry to get rid of all traces on printer. Unfortunately there are some entries that will not delete, hopefully I have successfully upload screenshot with this post. can anyone help please. Thinking of getting rid of vista and going back to xp

Attached Files:

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you might want to run Ccleaner's registry tool, it will scan your registry and remove anything that it thinks needs removed.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

A couple of Qs
    Have you at any time had the printer working with Vista.
    Do you have any other uninstallers(your uninstaller/tune up utilities) or are you working just with the built in uninstaller from vista?
    If you said no to the first Q you probably need to find the right driver (it's not the same as XP)
    Let me know and we will try to get rid of the rubbish.

4. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

yes printer has worked with Vista.
    Have used Advanced System care 3 to cleaning out registry but no luck

John

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Restore, Vista to a point/Date (before & while) the printer was working. Reinstall printer driver. Cheers...

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

OK click "start" in the search bar type "lexmark" at the bottom of the search panel click on search everywhere when the panel comes up you will see advanced search click that and a smaller panel will open above it,in the bar "location" click the small black down arrow on the right side,you will then get a dropdown menu, click "computer" am
    and finally on the left side of the you will see a small box "include non indexed,hidden or system files" tick that box and it will statr the search,be patient it may take a while.

When you get the results at the top of that page is a thick blue stripe across the page,on the left side you will see "organise" click that and from the drop down list click "select all" and all your results from the search should turn blue, hover over any one of them and RIGHT CLICK then select "delete"

it should clean all the entries .

7. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Wow Bill, that's Geekolishis :drool Nosnmada pls ignore my post below..

8. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

Thanks tried that

9. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

Ok thanks had already done restore

10. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

Billmcc66
    Ok thanks, done all that am am left with see attached screenshot (4.jpg) then I tried to access location see screenshot4. Using windows explorer i navigated to windows\twain see screenshot5. What is your next suggestion/step?

Attached Files:

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Sorry i had to leave,we had a problem at home.

OK file left.

1. First you need to take ownership of the file. At the Run command (press Windows key + R), type in:
    takeown /f “path and file name” to take ownership from a command prompt.
    2. Next, you need to give your account full control permissions on the file. Run from the same command prompt:
    cacls “path and file name” /G <your username>:F to get full control from a command prompt.

12. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

I tried search again to find the file but search result came back with nothing found.

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Ok if the file is no longer there you should be able to re-load your drivers,it worth a try and if that does not work i suggest you start a new thread in malware and do the "read and run me" cleaning program where people with much more experience than me will help you.

I don't mind playing with my registry but would not play with another,s.

READ ME RUN ME

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

14. nosmada

nosmada Private E-2

Thanks for all your help will try all. Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds