Regisrty problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by DangerMouse, Jul 10, 2004.

1. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Private E-2

After uninstalling NIS and NAV, i have been getting the following error when i start my computer, this appears before windows starts.

"the windows registry or system.INI file refers to this device file. But the device no longer exists, please uninstall or reinstall the device"

this appears 3 times for:

"C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANTEC\SYMEVENT.386"
    "SYMTDI.VXD"
    "C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD"

I think that i cleaned the registry using 'easy cleaner'

any ideas guys ?

2. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

You could look through your system.ini file for those things, and delete the lines containing them.
    Also you could use regedit, ans search for keys containing those files, and delete the keys, but you want to be very careful about doing that. Editing the registry can screw thing up in a hurry.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Private E-2

cheers guys, i used that utility from symantec which removed some of the messages.

then went into regedit and deleted all of the symantec files there.

Which fixed the problem :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds