Registry Backup Files with Wrong Dates

Discussion in 'Software' started by DesertLily, Mar 9, 2005.

1. DesertLily

DesertLily Private E-2

Yesterday while backing up the Windows Registry I discovered that the backup files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP mostly have wildly incorrect dates.

The files and dates are:

rb000.cab Modified 5/10/30
    rb002.cab Modified 3/9/05 (that was today's)
    rb003.cab Modified 3/16/23
    rb004.cab Modified 3/17/23
    rb005.cab Modified 10/1/29

Also rbbad.cab, modified 3/8/05 (when I tried to restore the registry with a file I trusted).

I am sure that these files were made when we did time-forwarding for the Petz 3 game. Never mind that.

As I understand it, there are only five slots for registry backups, and these files with false dates are taking up four of the five.

Can I just delete them? Or will it cause confusion in the computer?

Here is what we have.

Our operating system is Windows 98. System memory is 128 MB. The computer name is UOW IV7. The motherboard is Asus CUV4X (I ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 AMR, 3 DIMM, Audio) (I'm copying from the Everest Home screen. The hard disk, with 29291 MB, is a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47. The CPU is an Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (6 x 133).

I don't know how many more specs you would need to answer my question. If I need to give more information I will. Thanks so much for any help.

Desert Lily

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

I would back up my registry to a disk then if something went wrong you have the physical backup to fall back I would suggest backing up settings incase you lose those as well.

3. DesertLily

DesertLily Private E-2

I have saved a couple of recent "good" registry backups to a different folder, but of course I should put them on a separate CD. How do I back up settings? Is that separate from backing up the registry?

Thanks for your help!

DesertLily

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Windows 98 automatically creates a backup copy of the registry every time Windows starts.

It only saves a certain number (5), and when that is reached, it simply overwrites the oldest one/s.

Just leave those files in sysbckup alone.

If you want to copy your registry backups to CD, simply burn them with your burner's application as data files.

HERE is some information.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds