Registry Key Permissions

Discussion in 'Software' started by RuntOfTheLitter3, Nov 19, 2007.

1. RuntOfTheLitter3

RuntOfTheLitter3 Private E-2

Hi -

XP Pro
    (Administrator only existing user account. Unless you're in safe mode, then there's lots in right clicking c, properties, security)

I went to install QuickBooks and it wouldn't run claiming lack of permissions.
    Went in to safe mode to take ownership of C to user name.

Restarted in normal mode, avast quit. Wanted to dump that for AVG anyway so uninstalled. Tried to run AVG got a registry key access denied error.

Went into regedit, tried to take ownership, checked box for sub and got error:

Registry editor could not set owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys.

Bueller?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What is the exact error given by Quickbooks?

3. RuntOfTheLitter3

I don't recall exactly what it said now, but it was a known issue, QB needs to be installed on a user account that has administrator rights. This laptop is a hand-me-down that used to be on a domain with different user accounts only viewable in safe mode, and I'm using the Administrator account but don't have full read/write access, I guess.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Certain parts of the registry will never have full read/write access, hence the reason we need the exact error ;)

5. RuntOfTheLitter3

yes, but i uninstalled it. after trying to take ownership of the c drive, i can't install anything, due to no access to the registry. i'm getting errors about administrative rights everywhere now, i really messed this one up, lol.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Administrator accounts are available in safe mode too.

It sounds more like a problem with rights heirarchy and policies. It is possible to lock yourself out of a pc in XP pro with injudicious use.

You need the microsoft utility calcs from the XP disk or the better utility xcalcs from Microsft itself.

Type in calcs ? or xcalcs ? at the command line.

7. RuntOfTheLitter3

I formatted. Done. Thanks though.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We probably could have been more help if you had given up the precise error, which I asked for 5 days ago.

Pity, but wiping the OS works too.

9. RuntOfTheLitter3

I am sure you could have, but my main powerputer is off getting the motherboard replaced, I didn't have the time to troubleshoot. Wiping was faster, especially when my data is on an external drive and not on this laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds