Registry shrinker

Discussion in 'Software' started by morlok, Mar 13, 2003.

1. morlok

morlok Private E-2

I've been on a somewhat Quixotic search for a registry cleaner that would do what I wanted - not only 'clean' defunct registry entries by zeroing them, but REMOVING them from teh registry, keeping the size manageable.
    Since I tend to install/uninstall S/W alot, the registry would grow monotonically, slowing things down some.
    I've prolly evaluated a dozen or more registry cleaners, and none of them seem to do better than what comes free from MS.
    I also use the one that comes with System Mechanic.

Well....
    I finally found one that does what I want.

http://www.superwin.com/index.htm

They have registry cleaners/shrinkers for all WINxx products.

It does the job for me.

Disclaimer:
    TINAR, YMMV, IMHO,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2003
  2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

cool. I remember someone wanted somthing like this before, maybe its worth adding to the files admin type peeps?

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

oh............... i cudnt find it either....

upps!

hang on, the link you just made was to regview

5. Major Attitude

6. TerryP

TerryP Private E-2

I use NTRegOpt to optimize my registry. It's for NT/2000/XP only.

It's free and available from:

NTRegOpt

7. Major Attitude

8. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>then I let RegVac loose on my system....it found 2277 entries to be removed!!!

I used RegVac way back when, too. It was one of the first registry tools I found. It also found about 2000 invalid registry entries.
    The thing is, it took about 5 passes through the program to get them all.
    I believe it found something like 1400 the first time, 500 the second, then 200, 100..... etc.
    The other thing to note about registry cleaners is that they all seem to specialize in diferent parts of the registry: invailid files, bad DLLs, bad OLEs.
    I now run WinRescue (the program I mentioned in the base note), plus MS' regclean, plus System Mechanic's embedded cleaner. They all find different things to clean. I run WinRescue last, it's the only one that rewrites the registry to shrink it. Th efirst time I ran it to shrink I lost about 40% of the suet in the registry. 33K entries to 18K.

As usual, TINAR, YMMV, IMHO, I was only holding it for a friend, honest.

9. morlok

morlok Private E-2

>There was one I used before, now I cant remember, it cleans registry and rebuilds it, in effect, defragging it. I think this is it:

I've used ARO (advanced registry optimizer), I D/L'ed it as one of the many that I've tried over time. I've still got the zip file in my D/L directory (well, not anymore ;-).

OK, I installed it again, I recognize the interface, I tried it and it apparently didn't do what I wanted, because I moved on.

Again, TINAR, YMMV, IMHO, I was just holding it for a friend, honest.

Remember, Opening day is two weeks away.

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

aro : imho best registry prog ive come across. dosent do anything too intrusive (like delete dun :mad: which system mechanic tries to do) and executes quickly. Vey nice MA

11. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I use Advanced Registry Optimizer, JV16 Power Tools, Reg Cleaner 4.3, RegScrubXP, RegVac, and one other program. They all seem to find stuff the others don't.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds