Registry- zone maps & domains

Discussion in 'Software' started by thornem98, Dec 30, 2004.

1. thornem98

thornem98 Private E-2

I my registry I noticed a lot of bad looking domains listed in the following area:

hkey current user/software/microsoft/windows/current version/ internet settings/ zone map/ domains

What are these listings?
    Can I delete them without any problems?
    Why does programs to remove history not get these also?

Any other information that might be helpful is appreciated. This is a corporate computer and it needs to stay clean since it has the potential to be viewed by others.

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you have SpywareBlaster or other such anti spyware product?

I have SpywareBlaster and that is where it adds the blocks the non welcome domains/sites.

If you goto in IE Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites > Sites ... you will see same list.

You actually want these sites blocked as they can potentially add spyware to your PC.

3. thornem98

thornem98 Private E-2

Thanks for the response. Should I remove the bad domains or are they there to tell the computer which sites to block?

I currently use webroot spy sweeper, spybot, adaware & spysubtract. Do I also need spywareblaster?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No leave them as they tell your browser which sites to block.

It couldnt harm anything...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds