Reinstall XP & need Bios update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Carolbpeter, May 31, 2008.

1. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

The sound disappeared - then my power went. When I had GeekSquad replace my power, I turned on the machine and the USB ports didn't recognize any devices (and I still didn't have sound). After a week of forum advice, reinstalling drivers, etc. I finally had a tech in the neighborhood look at it, and he said the next step (prior to replacing the motherboard) is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. One of the things involved with that (from what I can tell) is an update of my bios. But I have been unable to find the drivers or update for it:

Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/28/2002

Can someone help? Thanks.

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

On the phoenix Technologies web site it says
    Therefore, what we need is your motherboard make and model number.

3. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

You, I thought of that afterward. Here is my system info:

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Celeron
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: First International Computer, Inc. VC37/VG31 PCB 1.x
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/28/2002
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    274.87 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    220.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HP DVD Writer 1040d [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD1600JB-00FUA0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAES1834094, rev 15.05R15, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAL96263030, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy 1016 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 512 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive N) 137.44 GB 101.52 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive N) 137.44 GB 118.72 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected
    Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
    local user accounts last logon
    Carol 5/30/2008 6:32:13 AM (admin)
    Unicorn 3/2/2008 12:23:45 PM (admin)
    local system accounts
    Guest 5/28/2008 8:00:14 PM
    HelpAssistant never
    KIDS never
    LAPTOP never
    SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Adobe PDF Converter on My Documents\*.pdf
    Adobe PDF Converter on \\PC270429458147\Printer8
    Amyuni Document Converter 2.50 on LPT1:
    Amyuni Document Converter 2.50 on LPT1:
    Amyuni PDF Converter 2.07 on LPT1:
    Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:
    SnagIt 8 Printer on C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\PrinterPortFile

Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Diamond S9250 PCI 256 DDR [Display adapter]
    Diamond S9250 PCI 256 DDR - Secondary [Display adapter]
    Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
    Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n H4KY502622, May 2005)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7 None detected
    Communications Other Devices
    Standard 56000 bps Modem

1394 Net Adapter
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.0.2 / 24
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
    Physical Address: 00:40:CA:48:C9:46

Networking Dns Servers: 192.168.0.1
    OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Nikon CoolPix 900 Digital Camera
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    USB Root Hub (4x)
    MTP Device

Thanks. This has been a major headache. And I'm very hesitant to reinstall -but if I must, I must. I've been kind of dead in the water without my printer and scanner which are connected thru the USB, and not having sound is just annoying. The Geeks put in a 400 power supply (orig was 250) and the tech guy swapped it down to 300 (I think). But I don't think that was the problem (too much power). And he did mention a motherboard upgrade, but that's $ I don't have, so I'm trying this first.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

WHAT???
    Too much power????
    He's got to be kidding.
    If there was nothing wrong with the 400w PSU then it would have been fine (better, in fact) than the 300w.
    If there was something wrong with it, it was certainly under warranty.

Although the information you listed is all important and good to know, it doesn't tell me your motherboard make or model.
    If this is a store-bought computer the make and model (for example: Dell, Inspiron 530) is all we need.
    If it was built either by you or a shop we will need the motherboard make and model.

5. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Okay - stupid me. I found an unofficial emachines site that has drivers for various things. I downloaded the following:
    USB: usb2_5.1.2600.0.zip
    System: infinst_autol.exe
    Intel 845GL: 845chip.5.10.2600.zip
    Audio: WDM_A404.exe
    Bios: ien43_vc37_pcb1213.zip

So, should I run all of this - prior to reinstalling XP? If I am reinstalling XP, doesn't that overwrite anything I do prior? I'm not sure I understand this.

I know I used the WDM_A404 to try and bring back the sound already and some realtek driver, and that didn't work. I did download a usb driver, but couldn't figure out how to install it.

Anyway, should I go ahead and install all of these?

Thanks,

6. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Emachines D2046

And, I know its a crappy machine, and that emachines no longer supports it - but it has media readers, 5 usb ports, and it's the best machine I've had in over 10 years (okay, I came off a Packard Bell to a presario to this one, what can I say).

I will see if I can get that power back - I didn't think that sounded right. I doubt he'll give it back - or I'll have to pay, since he didn't charge me for the time in lieu of the swap....

Back to the reinstall (or some other preferable answer)....

7. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You BIOS driver can be had here
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=207729
    You will have to join DriverGuide, but it's free.

eMachines are much maligned.
    I personally have nothing against them for the average person's use.
    They aren't built especially well, but if you treat them gently, they are OK.

8. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I don't see the BIOS driver there, here's what was listed:

Intel INF Update (845G/GL) for all 4.30
    Realtech 8100/8139 Series Lan driver 5.05
    Intel 845G/GL Video Driver 4.13
    Realtek AC'97 Codec Audio driver for all 5.10
    Intel USB 2.0 INF Package 1.0.3

Are these better than the ones I listed previously, which I found at an Emachines unofficial support site:
    USB: USB2_5.1.2600.0.zip
    System: infinst_autol.exe
    Intel845gl: 845chip.5.10.2600.zip
    Audio: WDM_A404.exe
    Bios: ien43_vc37_pc1213.zip

Do I install all of this before reinstalling XP?

Is there a chance I can avoid reinstalling XP with these downloads?

Thanks. If I sound confused, it's because I am. I hate reformatting. It's the bain of my existence.

9. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

ien43_vc37_pc1213.zip
    is the bios for your board
    According to your earlier post you have already downloaded this file.

Explain exactly what your computer is presently doing/not doing and I'll try to help you sort this out.

10. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

After re-reading all your posts it appears that your two most major problems are:
    no sound
    no usb
    is this correct?
    If so, you probably do not need to reinstall XP.

Let's take it one step at a time.
    In your device manager
    Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
    Do you see any question marks or exclamation points?
    If so, please list them or attach a screen shot.

11. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Those are the 2 biggest (only) problems. In a nutshell (a big one):

My DVD went - so I replaced it with a new DVD burner. IN that 48 hour time (the dvd burning and me replacing it) the sound went.

Last week, the power supply went - So I had to take the machine in to Geek Squad and have it replaced. They put a 400 (vs the 250 that was there) in. And when I booted, the USB ports were there - but nothing I plugged into them was recognized.

I downloaded and installed the AC'97 and realtek drivers for the sound - but it never came back (the sound shows greyed out speakers, nothing is selectable, and the Audio and Voice tabs show "Model #1 Line" for playback and record. No other selection available.

Under the Device Manager>Sound I have:
    Audio codecs (details: ROOT\MEDIA\0004)
    Audio Codecs (details: ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMACM)
    LegacyAudio Drivers (details: ROOT\MEDIA\0001)
    Legacy Audio Drivers (details: ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMDRV)
    Legacy Video Capture (details: ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMVCD)
    Media Control Devices (details: ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMMC1)
    Video Codecs (details: ROOT\MEDIA\0000)
    Video Codecs (details: ROOT\MEDIA\0002)
    Video Codecs (details: ROOT\MEDIA\MS_MMVID)

The USB ports worked fine prior to the Geek Squad installing the new power. I did download the USB drivers - but I couldn't figure out how to "install" them - or if I was to copy them over to the driver folder, or what. That other board didn't tell me, and they came to the conclusion the emachine was crap and I should replace the motherboard.

Thursday, after much frustration, I relented and dropped the machine off with a neighborhood techy (a client uses him) - and he changed the power supply to a 300, and kept the newer 400 - and charged me nothing for looking at the machine. He didn't feel it was a mother board problem (which is what I was told on another board, after several reinstalls of sound etc. that didn't work). And suggested the reformat was the answer (which I had asked on the other board).

Besides getting the machine back with the changed power, it looks like this guy also forgot to put the modem board back in, as that slot is empty. He had mentioned disconnecting it - but I have never had a problem with it, I don't know why it would be a problem now. And he must have forgotten to put it back in. This may explain the missing Audio Codec that was there before I gave it to him - with details:
    imaadp32.acm
    Microsoft ADPCM Audio CODEC
    msg711.acm
    msgsm32.acm
    tssoft32.acm
    msg723.acm
    windows Media Audio
    Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
    Indeo Audio Software
    Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
    Microsoft ADPCM CODEC

This is now gone, so the removal of the modem did this, or he removed them. He was unable to get any of his devices to be recognized, although the USB ports are listed and functioning, assording to the device manager.

Is there anything else you need to know?

All my downloads are going to a 2nd physical drive (not C) where I keep all my data, etc. separate from teh program files. I only keep program files on C. Makes reformatting not so bad (it's still bad, just not that bad).

Also - do I reformat my drive, then reinstall - or do I just reinstall XP. I've been looking at instructions - and I do have all the original CDs (XP, Western digital drive, plus all my device stuff, etc.).

Thanks so much.

12. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Sorry - it would help if I would read your entire post.

There are no yellow question marks in my device manager, at all. And there never were.

Here is a screen shot: (I opened each list and there is only 1 issue, re the video card, but that's it)

Okay - don't know how to do a screen shot - snagIt image isn't pasting over... I'll post and see if I can get it.

13. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Still can't get a screen shot (I'm not stupid, just only ever used snagIt).

Anyway, suffice it to say - no yellow question marks. Only negative is under display adapters:
    Diamond S9250 PCI 256 DDR
    Diamond S9250 PCI 256 DDR - Secondary
    Intel(r) 82845G Graphics Controller

the 2nd Diamond and INtel are red-x'd. I disabled them. I installed a Diamond card to go with my flat monitor, because I was having trouble with video while editing movies and i thought it may help (Studio said I had to have 3d graphics). So these two have red x's.

But that's it for obvious issues.

14. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    Let's start with the sound issue.
    You say that there are no problems listed in the Device Manager except under the video adapter, so it is unlikely that the problem is a missing sound card driver.
    First check and see if the Windows Audio Service is running.
    In your Control Panel open Administrative Tools>Component Services>Services (local) Windows Audio Services status should be "Running" and the Startup Type should be "Automatic". If not, double click on the entry and change the settings.

15. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

The status is "Started", not running and the startup type is "Automatic".

Everything else is listed as "Started" as well.

16. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    The chipset driver you said you downloaded
    Intel845gl: 845chip.5.10.2600.zip
    Did you install that?
    If not, do so now.
    Many times if the chipset driver isn't installed or is corrupted, other drivers will not operate properly.

17. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Okay - installed the chipset and rebooted. speakers are still greyed out, and no sound. Next?

18. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

sorry - spoke too soon.

Now, in Device Manager, I have a yellow ? next to
    IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller:
    ??? OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

"The device can not start. Code 10"

19. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

That is very strange
    The IEEE 1394 Host Controller allows you to connect "firewire" type devices (video cameras and external hard drives) to your computer.
    I'm not at all sure why installing a chipset driver made for your computer would affect its operation.
    Double click on it (in the Device Manager) and look under the resource tab to see if it lists any conflicting devices.

An error code 10 indicates that "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed".

20. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

There are no conflicts under resources, it says "The device isn't using any resources because it has a problem"

I went ahead and also downloaded the System driver for the board from the emachine site. And will install that. may as well make sure I have the latest and greatest of everything.

Should I try to reinstall the 845Chip.5.10.2600?

21. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Okay. installed the System: INFINST_AUTOL.exe file - and the question mark is gone. I will reinstall the audio (presuming I don't have to reinstall the bios), and the usb file.

22. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    You might have to install all the drivers eventually.

I looked over the specs and photographs of your machine and find no Firewire connector.
    I don't know why it is showing up at all on your Device Manager.
    Is there a firewire connector on your computer?

23. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with your BIOS

24. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I thought I saw firewire earlier - but I don't find it in the manual. I don't exactly know what one looks like. Going on the speed of today's communications, I may find it before you respond to this - I'll see if I have one.

25. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

It's not essential, I was just curious.
    Here is a picture of a firewire connector
    http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/Yamaha8824FXZ/images/FirewireSocket.jpg

What is more important is to get your sound and usbs back up and running.
    Any luck with the driver downloads for them?

Sorry about the delays in replies. I'm only able to sit down at my computer every now and again today.
    Lots going on here.

26. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

No problem with the delays - I'm pretty sure people aren't sitting staring at their screens waiting for my next stupid move...

Unfortunately - my work (and life) revolve around this machine - and I can do things, but I'm crippled without the printer and the scanner. Also, 2 external drives that contain client files.

I'll look at your picture, then see if I can find it on my board. So far the only thing I can't seem to load is the USB drivers. When I unzip them, they are just files, they don't install. So I'm not sure what to do with them.

Alas, all those years at Unisys I really should have been playing with the hardware.

27. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Well - that looks like the board I installed to plug my video camera into - but I'll look to make sure. It didn't come with the machine (I don't think, but it's been a while). I do know I plug the camera's hook up to that to download the digital files... It may have been there when I bought the machine (it had a bunch of media stuff that other people didn't and still don't have) - I'll see what it says on it.

28. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You successfully loaded the sound driver?
    Any sound yet?

What sort of files? (.inf - .sys - ?)
    I'll see if I can find the USB zip file and take a look.

29. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I have downloaded and reinstalled the AC'97 audio several times, and it didn't work this time either. I wouldn't know where to look to find it - and when I try to update drivers for the Audio Codec, I can't find them (thinking I need to hook them together somehow, I don't know).
    I did install another Audio Codec and let xp do its thing - and those other files came back, with a 3rd "audio codec" listed in the Sound device area... but no sound.

That is the PCI board that I plug the camera into - I don't remember seeing any files or papers for it when I rifled through everything this week, but who knows.

I did figure out how to point the device manager driver updater to the usb files - and I did update the 4 root hubs... it changed from "USB Root Hub" to "USB 2.0 Root Hub". I also did the other 4 and they changed as well:

Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD to
    Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller A1

and the rest as well changed to the Intel PCI to USB Enh HC A1 from
    Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal HOst Controller - 24C2
    " " " - 24C4
    " " " - 24C7

It then tells me I need to reboot. I checked, and if I allow XP to reinstall the drivers without my help, it rolls back to the original name... so I'll go ahead and reboot and see what happens.

The Sound - Not sure, but since the speakers are greyed out in the Sound & Audio Device window - I'm guessing it's not seeing that there's a sound device at all. But the power is on my speakers, and I do get buzzing.... I double checked to make sure they're plugged into the right place. so it maybe isn't the drivers.

30. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I also just noticed - but it probably isn't important, except it's excruciatingly time consuming for me to put back - that my wirelss network has disappeared. I had my kid's computer and my laptop hooked to the desktop - mostly for use of the printer (which is gone) and access to documents. But that is gone now. It doesn't see anything, and my laptop doesn't see the desktop. How annoying. That was a lot of running back and forth with a USB drive (I no longer have) up and down 3 flights of stairs (because of course, I can't have everything in one place).

31. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

When I use the troubleshooter, and I think in the beginning it asks me to go to volume control I get the message:
    "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to control Panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

But I don't see any mixers to install...

Still no sound. And no USB stuff showing up yet.

32. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I'll pick this up tomorrow.
    I need sleep
    :wave

33. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I have the restore cd that came with this machine - would they help?

34. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Okay - f me. I just thought I'd try to reinstall the HP printer, just to see if that worked - and my DVD is gone... It's powered, and it opened, but it's not on the My Computer list. gdi

What happened now?

35. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

OK
    I am back, briefly. Sunday is the busiest day of my week, but I'll try to help as much as I can.

A couple of things to check:

First, be aware that using the Restore CD(s) will totally wipe all data from your C drive, so make certain that your important files are all on your secondary hard drive.
    I would include all the driver download files that you have accumulated so that you won't need to find and download them again.

When you first boot your computer, pressing the "DEL" or "F2" key (I'm not certain which with emachines) when you first see the emachines logo should allow you to enter your BIOS setup
    Make sure you are showing both hard drives and the CDROM
    Look for "Boot Order" or "Boot Sequence" (or something similar) and set the machine to boot to the CD first.
    Save your changes.
    Place the Restore CD in the CD drive and reboot.
    This should completely reset your machine to the way it was when you first purchased it.
    Know that doing this will remove any programs that you may have put on your computer after it was purchased, so make sure you have the original installation disks for any programs that you have purchased.

This process will take a while (probably an hour)

If this doesn't get you back up and running, then I'm afraid that the BIOS itself may be damaged.
    Hopefully this is not the case.

I'll check back in later (this afternoon)

36. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Here is what I found in the BIOS:
    Integrated Peripherals:
    IDE DMA : Enabled
    USB Controller : Enabled
    AC97 Audio : Auto
    Onboard LAN Dev : Enabled
    Onbaord LAN Boot ROM : Disabled
    ONbaord Serial Port 1 : 3F8/IRQ4
    Onboard Parallel Port : 378/IRQ7
    Parallel Port Mode : EPPI.7+ECP
    ECP Mode USE DMA : 3

Standard CMOS:
    IDE Primary Master : WDC WD1600JB 00GVC0
    IDE Primary Slave : WDC WD1600JB 00FVA0
    IDE Secondary Master : None
    IDE Secondary Slave : None
    Drive A : 1.44, 3.5 In
    Drive B : None
    Halt On : All , but keyboard

Advanced Bios:
    Virus Warning : Disabled
    Hard Disk Boot Priority : Press Enter
    First Boot : CDROM
    Second Boot : Floppy
    Third Boot : Hard Disk
    Boot Up NumLock Status: On
    Security Option : Setup
    OS Select for DRAM > 64MB : Non-OS2
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capabilities : Disabled
    Bios Guardian : Enabled

My first ?: The Bios Guard says it has to be disabled to update the BIOS. Should I do this, then reinstall the BIOS driver?

#2?: I've rebooted 3x with the restore or XP CD in the drive, and it hasn't hit it yet. I will try again - but since the Device Manager isn't recognizing the DVD drive - should I: 1) shut down, 2) disconnect DVD, 3) boot, 4) shut down, 5) reconnect DVD, 6) boot --- to see if the system picks it up as new hardware?

My concern with the restore CD is that I have added or changed many things - and this machine is definitely not factory set any more. Besides the annoying fact that I have all those damn XP updates to deal with (I believe this machine was before SP1 even, if I remember correctly). I did purchase a full version of XP SP2 - should I use that instead?

I do really appreciate your help. I have things I have to get done today as well, so I will be in and out between boots, I guess.

37. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Okay - Reinstalled the bios, Chipset, and then audio.

Got the DVD back - but no audio.

The Restore CD is 2 CDs. The 2nd one has drivers, etc. on it. I'm going to check it out - maybe I could reinstall something from there....

Then when I get back from grocery shopping, I'll give up the ghost and reformat/restore.

So, my ? now would be - do I restore from the emachine restore CDs.... Or do I use the Windows XP CD?

38. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Here's a thought - what if I just buy a sound card and install it? I have a slot, since that guy took my modem (there is an onboard modem, so its not a great loss) - doesn't fix the USB issue.

As for the usb issue - I'm not sure I did that correctly either. I have 8 USB devices showing (I listed them earlier). I have 4 usb ports in the back, one in front.

Which is which? I'm guessing that the "Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Ctonroller - 24CD" is the DVD drive - or somehow related, because when I switched that back, the DVD came back....

39. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If one of the Restore CDs has the factory drivers on it I would say that that would be the best resource. At least you have a good chance that anything on it would be right for your computer.

If it comes to doing a complete reinstall, again I would use the eMachines disks instead of the XP one.
    My thinking on this is that there may well be components on the factory disks that are particular to your machine that the XP disk might not contain.
    It also will contain any programs that came bundled with your computer.
    Although often this type of software is "trialware" and of little use, you can always uninstall anything unwanted through you Add/Remove programs icon in your Control Panel.

I'll check back in on your progress later.

40. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Oh boy
    I didn't see one of your posts.

You say you BIOS reports:
    IDE Primary Master : WDC WD1600JB 00GVC0
    IDE Primary Slave : WDC WD1600JB 00FVA0
    IDE Secondary Master : None
    IDE Secondary Slave : None

This is saying that the BIOS (Basic Input Output Systems) sees your hard drives but not your CD rom.

Later you say the CD rom is now showing up in your My Computer after you reinstalled your USB controller.

This is very odd.
    The CD rom is not a USB device.

This indicates to me that the BIOS may indeed be your problem.
    It is like it is seeing your devices sometimes and not others.

Try updating the BIOS (Yes you will have to disable the BIOS Guardian first)

I am beginning to fear that all your problems are related to your motherboard's BIOS chip.

There is the possibilty that the CMOS battery (a small coin shaped watch-type battery on the Motherboard) needs to be replaced.
    Here is a picture of a CMOS battery (not on an eMachine, but it will look very similar)
    http://www.technibble.com/articlecontent/2007/12/remove-battery.jpg

The CMOS battery (to quote webopedia)
    I think this is a long shot, but within the realm of possibilty.
    And certainly it is more affordable than replacing the Motherboard.

As to replacing the Sound Card.
    This will probably get you sound, but it will not solve any of your other (more urgent) problems.

41. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Thanks again. I've been piddling around - and that "no active mixer" message is intriguing me. What if I delete all the audio codecs, reboot, and use the original system CD to see if it reinstalls? I'm not sure how else to delete the onboard sound (like I did the USB ports) to reinstall. But it's apparent that just reinstalling the drivers doesn't work. Maybe starting from scratch would.

42. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Okay - another thought. What if I disable the AC'97 sound in the bios, as if I was going to install a card - reboot. then shut down - enable the AC'97 and boot - it worked with the DVD.

Would I also delete the three Audio Codecs in the device manager?

(You can tell I am no fan of reformatting my drive - I hate it. But it seems to have become an annual thing for me. Must be karma for all the rotten things I've done to my children).

43. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Our posts are crossing for some reason. I had this happening another board, and a guy got really rude, even though I am positive that his 8pm post wasn't there at 10pm my time... I'm sure you didn't "miss" my post, it probably wasn't there. Your last one didn't show up until after I left, even though two of mine are above...

Anyway - I will re-check everything you listed below. While I was gone, the phone guy showed up (our phone lines were bad), and whatever he did, he cut out my dsl - it was working when I left, nada when I came back. And now they won't come back - I wasn't here when he came (he didn't call to even say he was coming) and so that was that. I had to re-enter a ticket. I had to mess with my laptop and subscribe to a city connection ($10 for the day) to get online. Plus is, I can be online now while I'm messing with the desktop.

I did install a sound card, and it worked fine. I will reinstall the bios -

Is there a test that the tech guy can do on the battery? I have to call him to pay him and get back my new power supply anyway (and point out he took my modem). Maybe he can put one in if the bios reinstall fails.

44. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I just got in (9:28 pm) I need to read you latest posts.
    I see that you did get a sound card and now have sound.
    That is encouraging.
    Is the CD rom still being recognized?
    The USBs?

OK Let me read up on what's been happening.

45. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I checked the Bios when I went in to disable the bios - and it did now list the CD Rom as a secondary drive.

Reinstalled the bios driver. Rebooted, did not "guardian" the bios on reboot.

Deleted the USB drives. Then rebooted. Let the guardian turn itself back on.

No USB.

Still have sound, and the DVD.

I don't have time this a.m. to do a restore. I will call the tech guy and see if I can get the power back. I may call Geek Squad and ask if they would know why swapping my power would disable the USBs....

If you have anything to add - let me know. I was able to connect to the internet through my laptop (only on the 2nd floor though, the city's signal is too weak) – it’s slow, but after a couple tries I get through. I've been trying to post this reply since last night at 9pm.

Thanks for all your help.

46. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I imagine that it is possible that when installing the PSU, the connection was not made to USB Bus.
    Look and see if you can find these connectors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are not photos of your board, just generic photos I found on the net.
    Yours may look a little different.

47. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

I've attached pictures of my board. I did download the manual for it -- I believe the cords I point to are the ones you have in your pictures.

I am jerry-rigging things now through my laptop.

ONe other thing I remembered while doing other things -- I had to change the virtual memory settings to get PhotoDeluxe to open... I do this after reinstalling the software - so, it should have been fine (I used it 2 wks ago). But not tonight. I had to go back and do the virtual memory again. It had re-set.

Is it possible that the board reset itself on everything?

I remember that I had to do something to get it to recognize larger drives... Now, it does recognize the hard drives -- but I did get a message whenI put the Seagate (one of the external drives) CD in to see if I had to re-load it, and it told me the motherboard didn't recognize drives over 137... so that would be a problem on the two external drives, maybe the printer, and possibly the scanner. It didn't recognize my camera though -- but I'm wondering if something re-set itself and then reformatting wouldn't work - because I'd be at square one and have to reset everything anyway.....

Just a thought. USB.jpg

usbBattery.jpg

48. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Let me see if I am getting this straight.
    You have two internal 160 Gb hard drives that the computer is seeing as 137Gb?
    You have two(?) external hard drives that are also over 137Gb that connect through USB, that presently aren't being seen because your USB is not working.
    Your printer and your scanner are also USB and therefore are not being seen.
    Your camera is connected by Firewire that isn't being seen either.
    You found the USB connector cables for the front panel USB and they are connected (but not working)
    The rear USB sockets are soldered directly to the motherboard.

Do I have any or all of that right?

Yes the second picture is your CMOS battery.

49. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

And all these problem started after a PSU was replaced?
    Why was it replaced?

Could you have been struck by lightning or something?
    (said only half in jest)

50. Carolbpeter

Carolbpeter Private E-2

Sorry - no, I bought a camera/camera - not a movie camera, a picture taker, and it just connects with a regular usb cable.

The 2 internal drives are 127gb each - but I could be wrong. That's what showing on the "my computer". (I thought they were different sizes, but maybe my mind is going).

The external drives are much larger - I bought one to keep a Foundation's records separate from my system (and a lot of graphics) - and I bought the other to keep my movies separate. So they are large (200gb?)

I haven't tried hooking up the movie camera - I will do that next. I didn't even think of it.

I do notice that the MP3 player is being recognized in my computer - even though it is hooked up by USB as well (just like its' a drive) and XP did load nikon as hardware, but when I plugged in the camera, it didn't see it. I'll try hooking up the mp3 and see if it sees that.

god, i love a good mystery.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds