Reinstall XP-Pro to be able to activate

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Wevie, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Stevie Wevie

Stevie Wevie Private E-2

:eek: Was unable to install service pack 1 in a computer I bought so I purchased a full version of XP-Pro and want to know how to install it to be able to activate and register without doing a clean install if possible. Can I do a full install over the old version, or do a repair install?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Not sure how to do this, though the info is stored in wpa.dbl. Not sure if you delete it if it restores and wants to re-register from there. I doubt repairing or installing over will do anything for you, you can tinker with the wpa.dbl file at your own risk or format.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

You said that you bought a computer with WinXP installed, and that you couldn't install SP1. What error messegages were shown why it didn't install? You may have bought a computer with a copy of "the Devils Own" installed. Download a utility such as Rock XP - Major Geeks has it for download - and view your CD key. If it is one of the ones that Microsoft blacklisted in SP1, then that is your problem. I'm with the Major, in that I have no idea of what problems that you will have on a repair install.
    If your original program was a corporate version, then I'm almost certain that a regular XP Pro key wouldn't work to activate it. Follow the Major's advice, and I can sympathize with your problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds