Reinstall xp sp2 Audio Driver missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by beckylousiana, Oct 20, 2009.

1. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

I have reformatted and reinstalled xp pro, had difficulty with drivers missing, even though I have all of the original CD's. I still cannot find a driver for my sound card listed on my Unknown devices report as
    Intel Corporation 82801FB (ICH6) AC'97 Audio Controller.
    My Destop is regitered with Dell, and I have tried the audio downloads they suggest. Nothing has worked.

I have also downloaded and installed SP3. I am sure that you all can tell everything by the Everest report attached.

Would really appreciate any help!

Thanx!!

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Device Manager do you have apart from the likely Audio driver being missing any other Yellow ! Marks by any devices? if so what?

As one reason for the likes of Audio drivers not installing for the onbaord Audio is that the Chipset driver has not been installed, so if you have not installed the Chipset driver then do so and HERE it is for your model Dell, then once installed reboot and then install the Dell Audio driver is HERE

3. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

I HAVE SOUND!!! GREAT!!!!
    I had thought about Re-installing the Chip set thingy, but just didn't know if it would mess anything up.
    Before I decided to do the Reinstall, I had searched articles about Reinstalling XP and never found anything that explained installing the Chip set before Drivers, or anything about a specific order. It is not mentioned on Microsoft.com instructions for Reinstalling windows, which I tried to follow to the T...
    I had all the original Cd's that came with my system, and thought that I should be OK. After the reinstall, I had 4 items that were missing drivers, video, video VGA, Multimedia audio controller, and Ethernet - (the driver necessary for me to get on line). I tried using the original CD of drivers that came with the system, to no avail.
    I have a laptop, Thank Goodness, because I had to download another program to a thumb drive and put it on my Desktop to find out the manufacturer of each item. Only after I went to Dell's website in search of the drivers that I needed, did I discover the specific order to reinstall drivers, and first read about the System Utility & Chip set thingy... but I couldn't connect to the internet until I went to another computer, and downloaded the Ethernet driver to a thumb drive, then transferred it.
    Maybe this post will help someone else. Thanx Again!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds