Reinstall XP without original disks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MYPCGUY, Mar 29, 2009.

1. MYPCGUY

MYPCGUY Private E-2

I need to reinstall xp on a desktop unit. The original oem xp sticker is on the computer. But, the customer does not have their original install disc? can I use any xp install disc, and enter the product code on the sticker?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

P.S. I am just starting my own business and would welcome any help.

2. smilinggeek

smilinggeek Private E-2

Technically, yes you can.

Legally, I'm not sure. Maybe if you use another OEM install disk, then yes. But it would take many hours of legal advice to know one possible answer, and it would take a few court cases to get a definitive answer. Asking Microsoft, of course, will yield an answer that might or might not be correct in a court of law.

But from a strictly technical standpoint, yes, you can use an XP install disk of the same type (Home/Pro), enter the product code on the sticker, and have a reasonable expectation that the install - and Microsoft validation - will work. At least, it always has for me in the past.

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Yes you can,as long the key is legit.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

As long as it is another OEM Microsoft disc, not a manufacturer's restore disc or a retail disc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds