reinstalling vista. what will i lose?

Discussion in 'Software' started by YaItsKndaLykDat, Jan 16, 2009.

1. YaItsKndaLykDat

YaItsKndaLykDat Private E-2

im reinstalling vista because im having some problems. what exactly will i lose if i DON'T do a fresh install. my main concern are my emails in outlook will they still be intact with the file system?

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

you mean like if you just do a windows recovery versus a clean install?

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

**NOTE - The below is from Spiceworks community. Its an IT program used mainly by IT admins. I did not write this.

What Is The Difference Between A Clean Install, An Upgrade And A Repair Install?

* Clean Install or Fresh Install: An entirely new installation of an operating system or application. To perform a clean installation of an OS, the hard disk is formatted and completely erased. To perform a clean installation of an application, the older version is uninstalled first. Installing the OS on a new computer or installing an application for the first time is automatically a clean installation.

* Upgrade: An upgrade is a new version of or addition to a hardware or, more often, software product that is already installed or in use. Upgrades may be sold as specially labeled, less expensive "upgrade" packages (as, for example, Microsoft's Office suite products) to existing users alongside versions of the product that are made for sale to first-time users. In other models of software distribution, an upgrade may also be available for free or for-charge downloading from the product maker's site.
    o Forced Upgrade: A term that is commonly used in the computer field to refer to the practice by some large software developers of automatically updating their products to the newest versions.

* Repair Install: At some point you may need to repair the installation of Windows. This is preferable to a clean install in many cases since it attempts to only repair your copy of windows without having to delete all the files on your computer first. In many cases a repair installation is enough to fix the problem. A repair install deletes the files normally installed by windows XP and then reinstalls them off the disc. A repair install will not rebuild your computer's registry, delete applications and user settings, or fix problems being caused by a program.

References

* PCMAG.com/encyclopedia
    * Whatis.com
    * University of Iowa

Rev 3 (diff) — Last edited at January 03, 2008 17:09 pm by Myshell (Spiceworks)

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If using Outlook in the Office one then use the Outlook backup tool (free) to safeguard and backup to somewhere other than the main OS drive that you are about to re-install Vista on.

Depending on whether you're running a clean install, repair install (which generally leaves your files and apps intact) or a Manufactures restore to factory install routine, this backup should save the .pst which houses all mailboxes, contacts, calendar data etc from Outlook 2002~2007 versions.

or can also copy th contents of the Outlook pst folder which is here C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and when needing to add it back just copy and paste into same location in new install.

Would likely do both methods myself for that just in case!

If you have different Outlook please advise?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds