Reinstalling Win XP from Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by ann.nico, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ann.nico

ann.nico Private E-2

Hi again, I posted earlier at welcome center
    and was told to post here. I am attaching post from earlier. Would
    appreciate any help. Thanks.

Hi, my name is Ann. I'm a senior and not very computer literate. Took me ages just to get this far on here.
    I'm actually writing this for my daughter. She can't get on the Internet right now because her laptop is messed up.
    I couldn't find anything here on removing Vista and reinstalling Windows XP.
    That is what my daughter tried to do. Now having major problems.
    I'm attaching the email she was able to send me last night and if anyone knows what she should do, then please reply.
    I just realized this is Welcome Center. Where would I post this message to get help. I'm sorry I just don't know. Anyway, here is her email:

Mom,

I was going to try posting my question, but you have to register. I tried registering, but couldn’t. I’m having so many problems right now. I can’t even access the internet because it appears my browser is not working, and I don’t know how to download a browser if I can’t get to the web page. I thought it was on my disk. UGHHH! Anyway, I lucked out and can at least send and receive email through my Outlook. By the way DELL was no help at all!!!! If you can post this for me, that would be great. Here goes………

I installed Vista on my computer and after becoming frustrated with all the incompatibilities, I decided to go back to XP. I followed the step-by-step instructions on Microsoft’s support page to perform a clean installation of XP. I backed up all of my files, photos, music, etc. just as suggested. HOWEVER, when I attempted to restore my files and settings through the Backup or Restore Wizard, the “Items to Restore” window only shows “file” in the left column and will not open or respond when I click on it. The right side of the window titled “Backup Identification Label” shows “no entries found”.

If I click Browse the “open backup file” window comes up and already had “Backup.bkf” listed as the file to catalog. However, when I click on it, it states that the file specified doesn’t exist or does not contain any backup sets. When I browse from this window and select my computer and my drive (E) that contains my backup disk, it shows my backup set and files, but nothing happens when I try to open them.

HOWEVER, when I go into “My Computer” and select this drive/disk, it shows all the zipped backup files from 2 to 25 (not sure why there is not a 1). Do I have to manually select EACH file and then extract the data????? If so, how do I know where to extract it to.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!! First I was sorry I installed Vista…..NOW I am sorry I went back to XP. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you for any help,
    Ann

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

You backed up files from the Vista operating system and now want to restore them to an XP installation? I am aware that ntbackup.exe from XP can be used on the Vista operating system, which is probably the backup program you should have used prior to reverting back to XP, and then restoring the backup. I would try to restore them to a folder (specific location) using a Vista operating system (the system that created the backup). I am not aware of a way to restore a Vista backup to XP without having created it with a program that is compatible with XP. Hope you find an answer...

3. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

So you created your backup with the Vista Backup/Restore Wizard? Is that right? If so, I think BugBallou is correct -- I'm doubtful you can then restore the Vista created backup to XP.

I think the most important thing at this point is: Don't do anything that may damage the only backup you have even though it doesn't seem usable at the moment.

Did the instructions (at Microsoft's website for a clean install of XP) suggest you use the Vista tool to do your backup? If so, then I'd suggest you contact Microsoft for help restoring the Vista generated backup to your XP installation. And while you're at it ask MS why the first zipped file from the Vista backup seems to be missing. If that first backup file is really gone then you need to find out if the rest of the Vista generated backup is usable or not. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid it may not be usable if that first part is missing.

But I'm guessing the MS instructions didn't actually say "Use the Vista backup Wizard to make a backup...". Probably just suggested you do a backup before attempting the clean install of XP without warning you that a backup done with the Vista backup tool wouldn't work with XP.

In that case I'd still suggest that you contact Microsoft to see what they suggest you do given your predicament.

How is the backup you made with the Vista backup wizard stored? On a second hard drive or burned to DVD's or what? It will be additional work, but, assuming you can find all of your backup files (including the first one you don't currently see) you may be able to:

1) Do a clean install of Vista

2) restore the backup you made with the Vista wizard to get all your stuff back

3) return here for suggestions about how to backup what you need from Vista without using the Vista backup wizard -- possibly there are good free backup tools that will help which you can download at no charge from Major Geeks.

4) Do yet another clean installation of XP and restore your data to get back to where you want to be.

A bit of work but if, in fact, the backup you made with the Vista tool/wizard is incompatible with XP then it would seem your only chance of getting your data back is to reinstall Vista, restore your backed up data, back it up in a different way so you can access it from Win XP, do a clean reinstall of XP and then restore your data from the new backup that wasn't made with the Vista tool.

If you bought the "upgrade" version of Vista you can still do a clean reinstall of it with the upgrade version -- even if you just wipe XP off your hard drive first. Ask for a link to those Vista upgrade clean install instructions if you need them. It involves installing Vista twice, the first time without entering the product key (or whatever MS is calling that long authentication number/letter combo you enter to verify you have a legit copy of the OS) and then you install Vista "over" itself, this time entering your authentication code. I believe that's the procedure in a nutshell as described both here and in one computer magazine I've read. But ask around here for a link to those instructions and print them out unless your already familiar with that procedure.

Sorry this is so complicated, but hope my suggestions may help you find a way out of the mess you're in.

4. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

On the same token, i am receiving a new computer with Vista already installed. If I do a complete sweep and erase the hard drive I should be able to load XP without any problems. Is this correct? There will be no information to save since it is a new build and will only come with the junk that is included in new computers (thanks Dell). I appreciate any responses. If I can accomplish this I will create a secondary partition to act as a save point for back up purposes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. tym

tym Corporal

The biggest thing when removing vista and putting in xp is the drivers. You will need to track them down so they can be reinstalled after xp.

There is a section here at major geeks that can help you with just that problem. Finding the right drivers.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

BILLMCC66, makes it sound easy BUT if this is a new computer, XP might not have drivers for the hardware in it so you end up with a 1/2 broken XP install.
    Before you attempt to wipe Vista, search to see if there are drivers for all the hardware and save yourself a headache.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I did not intend to make sound too easy as changing an OS always brings problems.
    If the 2 posters are determined to remove Vista ( I don't understand why, it's a better OS) i just gave them the tools to do the job.
    obviously all the XP drivers are not in the file but it gives them a start and then they can track down the others via Google.
    A [​IMG] i am not:-D

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You are tacking your post onto an 18 month old thread. It is better to create a new thread, in future. Bazza

===

10. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Thanks Bazza, did not realize the date of the original post. I have decided to stick with vista Premium and use Adrynalynes guide to help me through it. Thanks for the answers everyone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds