Reinstalling Windows XP Home on Dell Dimension 8250

Discussion in 'Software' started by csfalcon, Dec 21, 2006.

1. csfalcon

csfalcon Private E-2

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble starting a clean install of Windows XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8250. I replaced the stock hard drive with a new one, put in the Windows XP CD that came with the computer, changed the boot priority to the CD-Rom drive, and I just get the black screen with " strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility".

Any ideas?

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Try F2.:)

3. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

Is it a restore disc or a full installation disc ? From what I've read on here and other forums, a restore disc won't install XP on an empty hard drive, and all it does is access a hidden partition on the original HD which contains the XP setup files. (I think) * Can anyone confirm this ?

4. csfalcon

csfalcon Private E-2

Got it to work by swapping a different CD drive...

It was the Dell "Recovery CD" but it worked fine with the different CD drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds