Reinstalling Windows XP no C drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by OldBrain, Sep 18, 2009.

1. OldBrain

OldBrain Private E-2

I want to do a clean reinstall of XP Pro to tidy up my system. Booting from the CD and accepting the T&C I get to the screen that shows the existing O/S but instead of showing XP in the C: drive it is shown in the E: drive.
    My setup uses 2 HDD both partitioned. The boot HDD has C: and E: drives, the second HDD has D:, G: and H: I also have a floppy and CD drive.
    I have tried disconecting the second HDD but when I boot from the XP CD the existing O/S is shown in the D: drive.
    I am reluctant to continue the installation under these circumstances. Can anyone help?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

My OS's are all over the place so it's not the end of the world but my main OS is on C:. So then what is on your C: partition? If it's data then just move it and use it.

EDIT: Did your system come with a pre-installed OS?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. OldBrain

OldBrain Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. The C drive has XP on it, data is on the E drive.
    In reply to your edit yes the OS was preinstalled buty hasd since been reinstalled a few times but never had this problem before.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. augiedoggie

OK, so from what I gathered so far when 2nd HDD is disconnected you have XP on both C and D? I'm a tad confused.

At any rate, if the C drive also has XP, it might be corrupted. Format that and reinstall, the only problem that you'll have is then you will get a boot screen option to choose which one you want, the top entry is the newest.

5. augiedoggie

OK, so from what I gathered so far when 2nd HDD is disconnected you have XP on both C and D? I'm a tad confused.

At any rate, if the C partition also has XP, it might be corrupted. Format that and reinstall, the only problem that you'll have is then you will get a boot screen option to choose which one you want, the top entry is the newest.

6. OldBrain

OldBrain Private E-2

Thanks to both for prompt responses. I have been diverted by domestic issues and holidays but I have now successfully reinstalled XP thanks to your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds