Reinstalling Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Av8Chuck, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck Private E-2

I have a five year old Dell XPS, its been great unfortunately after removing a virus its just not running well. I don't really want to get to the bottom of the virus, I'd rather just start fresh.

I have a Dell "Reinstallation CD" Microsoft Window XP Professional, including Service Pack 2. How do I reinstall the operating system? Is this Disk all I need?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Depends which Dell;
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Enter BIOS, change boot sequence to CD/DVD first, boot from it, choose either repair or install. The latter will wipe your data. If and when you get to formatting, don't choose the quick one.:wave

3. Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give this a shot.

4. Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, the reinstallation went well. However, it was missing a few drivers, I installed the graphics driver OK but I can't find one for the audio card and I can't get online.

I tried the network wizard but I can't seem to make it see the network. I'll pick this up again in the morning, if anyone knows something obvious to check, besides whether its plugged in, it is and I have a light.

Thanks again.

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Go to www.dell.com, then drivers downloads. There is a 7, ( I believe) digit, or maybe alphanumerice, service tag label on the 'puter, anyway, when you get the right one you'll know. Been a couple of weeks since I did a Dell. Enter it in the service tag box. You'll then be sent to a page with all of the chip set and driver downloads for that particular machine. You can save to a USB stick and install from there

6. Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck Private E-2

Boy it took quite a few attempts, but once I got the Broadcom GigE working and could get online it sure simplified things.

It all seems to be working well, thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Glad I could be of help!:wave:wave

8. bbloni

bbloni Private E-2

hi guys..sorry for posting this here but this is my first time here so i dont know where to go! i have an advent 5611 laptop and i want to install windows xp on it but it wont let me..everytime windows setup is starting a blue sceen of death is popping up! please help me.. im really desperate to remove windows vista! thnx!

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

bbloni,

Please start a new thread for this problem. In the software forum, here, click on "New Thread" , give it a title, and state your problem. Give history, what you've tried, want to do, OS, security, RAM, computer model, etc.
    The more details you provide, the better the quality of answers you'll receive.

And welcome to MG!!:wave:wave:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds