Reinstalling Windows XP worries

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chairman Wood, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chairman Wood

Chairman Wood Private E-2

I really feel quite foolish. I just bought a new computer and I really wanted it to be a lean maching that I wasn't going to do anything with other then work and that it would be void of all of the other crap that comes on a new computer. I was looking through the site here and I came across this post
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107991
    about setting up a new computer. I thought that it was a good idea and that i should reinstall windows XP. I also kind of had the impression that it would be quite simple.

So I placed the cd in the D drive and rebooted and unplugged the computer from the internet. The computer booted up as normal and didn't ask me anything about reinstallation that I thought it would. So anyway i looked in the D drive and then the computer brought up a prompt. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that i could just go from there and click "Install Windows XP." From there I selected New Installation and followed the steps. I came across a walk through for this process here...

http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm

Maybe I also incorrectly concluded that I could just skip to the installation part as I saw no need to back up etc. a computer that i had nothing on. All went according to plan until I got to the part about deleting the partitions. If I remember correctly there were 3. one was "E" the other was "-" and the other was "C." So I deleted E and - and then I tried to delete C but it wouldn't let me because of something about files necessary for XP setup being there. That was the first thing that went different from the walkthrough. Away from the C partition there didn't appear to be the 10GB that were recommended for putting XP back on there so I felt that I was forced to put it there. That appeared to be where the walkthrough recommended anyway. From there it started telling me about something about there already being an OS there and it wasn't recommend to put the XP there. I didn't really see any other options about where to put it so i wrote it there. Things kind of continued as it appeared they should have with the exception after it tried to boot up after it appeared to stop completely for ten plus minutes while loading and I had to turn it off and on.

Now my computer is working with XP installed and there a far fewer progams in my add/remove programs list just like I wanted (with the exception of some ESPNMotion thing, this other thing called GemMaster Mystic, Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1, Otto and Sonic Encoders. Anyone know if I can/should remove any of those). However, I've been reading that this reinstallation you pretty much want to go flawlessly and that if not it could affect the future performance of the computer. Obviously mine did not and before I continue with installing the drivers I wanted to check with you guys to see what I should do. Why did I have some of the problems? Should I do something else and start this whole reinstallation process again? Thank you so much.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If you want a 100% lean and clean Windows XP, you must boot to the install CD and format the hard drive. This will COMPLETELY erase EVERYTHING currently on the PC; this includes Office. Alot of people think Office is built into Windows XP- it isn't. So, put the Windows CD in the CD drive. Power up the PC. You should see something on the screen right away that says 'Press F2 for Setup' or something similar. You might also see something similar to 'Press F12 for boot options'. If you have the boot options choice (it might say 'temporary boot device'), press that key and choose the CD drive. If you don't have the boot device option, press the key to enter Setup. Now navigate thru the menus until you see 'Boot Order' or maybe 'Boot Device Priority'. Set it so the CD drive is first, and the hard drive is 2nd or 3rd; the CD MUST be first. Be sure to save the changes to the settings, and exit. The PC will automatically reboot. Let it do it's thing and you'll eventually see "Press any key to boot from CD..." and you'll press any key (the space bar is a perennial favorite). Now some blue Windows Setup screens will come up. Let them load until you see a screen that says "Press 'R' for Recovery Console" and "Press Enter to install Windows". You'll want to press enter. DO NOT press 'R' or you'll have to start over. Again, let Windows Setup do it's thing. Eventually you'll see a screen where you're asked "Press R to repair Windows" and "Press ESC to install a fresh copy". Press ESC. DO NOT press R! Setup will do it's thing, you'll be asked to press F8 to accept the EULA, then you should see another choices menu with the hard drive(s) and partition(s) listed with their respective contents. Select the C: drive with arrow keys and press 'D' to delete it. You'll have two confirmation screens come up; just continue to delete the partition. It'll go back to the drive list screen and you'll select C: again (it might not be labled C:, it might say raw partition or something similar) and press Enter to install. Then it'll ask if you want a standard or Quick format. I always choose quick to save time. After that, go have a couple beers and pop back to the PC every so often to click Next and enter the product key. And that's it! Post if you run into problems.... it's pretty straight forward once you boot to the CD, as long as you read what's on the screen and think logically before proceeding... no sweat ;)

hopperdave2000

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I just re-read your post... it sounds like one of the partitions is a System Recovery partition put there by the PC manufacturer. Usually, they can be deleted by booting to the XP CD. It may not be a great idea to delete it, but it's usually possible. Anyway, in your case, the partition largest in size is the one you'll want to delete and format. If the list shows 3 partitions, I'm curious as to why a 3rd one has been created; usually there's one for Windows, and one for the System Recovery files.....

hopperdave2000

4. Chairman Wood

Thank and all seems to be well however, I still have the same 5 programs, ESPNMotion thing, this other thing called GemMaster Mystic, Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1, Otto and Sonic Encoders, on my computer. I understand why Microsoft.Net would still be there but not the others. Did I do something wrong? Which of these can I just take off?

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

How did you reinstall WinXP? From a CD or from the System partition? If you installed from a CD, you either didn't format the partition or the disc is an OEM version and has those extra programs built into it. If you reinstalled from the System partition, those extra programs are built into it also... you can safely remove all of them, but I'd keep the .NET 1.1 because some programs require it. Also, the Sonic Encoders has something to do with Sonic's CD/DVD burning application, and may have something to do with multimedia playback also (not likely, but possible); so if you use Sonic to burn/play CD's or DVD's, leave the encoders alone... the other programs are games and can be deleted.

hopperdave2000

6. Chairman Wood

I used a CD that came with my Dell computer. I believed I formatted the partition, if I understand what formatting is. That is, I was able to delete all the partitions this time around. But anyway, I got rid of all the programs with the exception of the .net and the Sonic so I believe I'm alright. Beyond that, I think to my novice ability with computers I'm also having some other problems/questions concerning loading drivers. Again, I began this process thinking it would be relatively straightforward and maybe it is but I just have some hesititations cause I want to do everything correctly. Here is my story with the drivers, if this should be moved to the drivers forum move it please. I looked for an FAQ there but this didn't appear to be covered:

put in the Dell Resource CD. It told me I need to load some software from there and did so. Afterwards I read. that there was "a basic driver installation order guide" and I found that. From there, I saw that I needed to install the Dell Desktop System Software. So I went to Utilities, clicked on it and extracted the files and followed the install wizard and rebooted. I didn't notice any differences and there were no prompts about new software or anything. I may have done this more then once. Afterwards, following the instructions, I was told I needed to install a Chipset Driver for the system. So I extracted "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" and Installed it. Now, I'm starting to have second thoughts because within "my system" there is this one and 2 other controller drivers. I also see no evidence of me installing Desktop System Software and Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility after I have done so. I

In all honesty, I'm really confused about what I'm doing and what I should be doing. I really have no idea how this process works and what I need to do. Are some of these drivers already loaded when I reinstalled Windows. How do I know what drivers I need to install from this cd? Do I need to reboot the computer after I install each one or can I do them all at once and then reboot together. I'm getting the impression that I may not need to do anything at all and some things are already here but when I loaded the Desktop system Software it told me "this file does not exist" "create it" and I choose Yes which leads me to believe that these drivers are not here.

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

The Dell resource CD most likely loaded the xtra stuff, but you're OK. None if it is using resources or slowing you down, so don't sweat it. As far as the drivers go, go to Control Panel > System > click Hardware tab > click Device Manager button. Look for anything w/ a question mark next to it; grab a pen and write down what it says (ie; Multimedia Audio Device, VGA Controller, etc...). Then using the Resource or Driver CD, install the appropriate drivers. It's easier than it sounds: Multimedia Audio Device is your sound, VGA Controller is your video, Ethernet or Network Controller is for hi-speed internet, PCI Communication Device is your dial-up modem, and so on.... sometimes with Dell drivers, you really have to read what's on the screen VERY carefully. Some drivers will install themselves, other you may have to install thru the Device Manager and the Hardware Wizard.

hopperdave2000

8. sheryl38860

sheryl38860 Private E-2

what is OTTO

9. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

It looks like I am going to have to re-install XP Home. A couple of questions. First, I have an upgrade installation CD with all the code numbers. I did have ME on my computer so that is the reason I have an upgrade CD. Will this present a problem when I try to reinstalled since any residual files, etc. from ME will be erased from hard drive?

Second, after doing all the backups and saving of apps, what are the steps I need to take to erase everyting from the HD so I can start the reinstall?

Thanks!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make a new thread please, instead of attaching to an old one.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds