Reinstalling WinXP on new HD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lawmanxxx, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Private E-2

I am about to install a new HD on my mother-in law's computer. She has WinXP on her old drive but has no install disc. I have downloaded Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder 1.41 to recover her registration code. My question is this: Can I use a different XP disc for the install and use her original code to register it? Will Microsoft recognize it? Thanks for any help.... Lawman

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It should have a product key sticker somewhere on the case. Does it have a recovery partition? If so, it should have an option to burn it to CD/DVD as recovery discs and that could be used to reinstall. Your question? Yes, if you have a valid license and the product key that goes with it. Without those it won't activate. It would have to be a disc with the same OS (Home or Pro) and the same license type (retail or OEM - that info would be on the license sticker) to work.

3. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I'll be installing from the same type of disc (XP Home OEM) so I suppose it should work. The worst that could happen is that I will have to re install the old HD again. Problem was that she had WinXP and a ton of music files on an old 5.5GB Drive. She couldn't figure out why everything she did took forever to load up! :rolleyes: I'm putting in a 80GB drive that should do the trick. Thank you for the advice. Lawman

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds