reinstalling Word 2000 on XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrammawNewbie, May 10, 2007.

1. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

I bought a new Dell laptop with Win XP in Oct of 2004. It had WordPerfect, but I didn't realize it wouldn't have plain-vanilla Word as I'd had on my defunct Win 98 puter. I got my old discs (since the old computer was Doornail City) and installed Works Suite & MS Home Publishing. No problems for quite a while, then last autumn Word quit working. It won't open at all, just tells me to send error report. Hah. I've been limping by using WordPerfect when I have to format stuff and doing other stuff in .rtf, but I tried again to uninstall and reinstall (Add & Remove Programs) and it still won't work. I even typed in my Secret Agent Code Of Authenticity.

I realize this probably isn't enough info, but I'm not sure what to do.

Should I uninstall and reinstall all the Works Suite (using my old 200 discs), or are there other steps or tools about which I need to know? Should I just shop around and buy a brand-new XP-type version of Word? And what could I have done that made Word mad at me after being so friendly for so long, even on my new XP system?

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

Thanks, Steve!!!

I do remember futzing around with templates (sorta like the cartoon characters who play with "Dynamite - DO NOT OPEN BOX") and that is probably what did me in. I managed to open with the run command, and then I copied to a WordPad doc all the good info to which you linked. If the grandkids stay asleep long enough and the Parrot doesn't try to eat me for brunch, I'm gonna try resolving the issue right now.

I appreciate your help. Even if the Vols think they are God's gift to SEC. Hah. [jk]

GrammawNewbie

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

:D Good luck

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds