Reinstalling XP On An Rebuilt Computer ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Aug 6, 2006.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

It looks like this fall/winter I will be doing my obligatory 2 year upgrade. Currently I have XP installed on the rig listed below. As usual I will back up data, format the drive, reinstall the OS, and start fresh (what a feeling :) ). So . . .

I know I will keeping the all the hard drives. I will reinstall XP on the same hard drive that is in my current computer. Will the Microsoft Empire give me the cold shoulder when I upgrade?

If it comes down to it, I will just keep XP installed as is and build the system around the har drive with the previous install.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

you may need to reactivate XP once installed, but this should be very doable. Worst case, you would need to talk to a Microsoft rep and have them allow your reactivation.

You definetly have the right idea though, a clean reformat and fresh install is the best way to go.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Go the clean install route as InYears said you should have no issues with activation, ok maybe you "may" have to call up, but thats painless really.

If you build around the old HD and old install of XP with all the old hardware drivers installed still you can hit major device driver issues, sometimes it works ok if you use similar hardware but in the majority of cases it will result in a clean install anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds