Reinstalling XP on very slow Dell Dimension 8200

Discussion in 'Software' started by spjones, Jul 11, 2004.

1. spjones

spjones Private E-2

I have a cd from Dell for installing XP (came with the computer). When I go to install (actually reinstall) XP, I get this message from the Dell CD:

The file D:\i386\winnt32u.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup can not continue.

Now what!???

Thanks for any help. This used to be a nice computer!

2. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

Since you are complaining of your Dell 8200 becoming very slow, I tend to think you may have been hit with either a virus, or somesort of spyware. I've heard that certain virus's are designed to keep you from accessing your restore cd.
    Run a complete virus scan.
    If you don't have them - download Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy, and run them to get rid of any spyware.

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

4. SHODAN1

SHODAN1 Private E-2

Can't say XP is an efficient OS either. Everytime I do work for a customer I basically gut it's heart out, removing all but virtually the pretty GUI. Can't say what your problem is-could me any number of things. Corrupt security settings, maybe a virus or spybot running denial of service, bad security audits. Don't get mad when I say Dell's are poop, but they are. Try what barnburner recommended. I recommend (if you haven't yet) Auto-clave the Hard Drive and give the comp a fresh XP install.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You guys are assuming that its a virus and/or spyware when it could be a scratch/dirt on the CD, or a dirty cd/dvd drive. Not that what you guys said was bad advice, its a good idea to do regardless. Just strange that we jumped from one subject to another so abruptly ;)

Try making a flat, spjones (copy i386 dir. to the hard drive) and try the reinstall from there.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

in addition to Adryn's post.
    the i386 directory has subfolders in it. You'll need to use Xcopy to copy subfolders if you do this from a DOS environment.

7. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

The complaint of the Dell Dimension 8200 becoming very slow, was what let me to think that a virus or spyware might be the root of the problem. My thinking was that if that was the case then there might be no need for a reinstall.

8. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

This seems like it should have been posted in hardware rather than software. :p

However, I have seen something like this before. Restore CD's from computer manufacturers contain alot of data. They compress them to fit all the data. By doing this it makes it much easier to the CD's to become corrupt, and sometimes completely unreadable.
    What I suggest, is cleaning the CD, than, placing it in a bowl of hot water for about 5 seconds (this is crazy I know, but it has worked before), than wipe it dry with something non-abrasive and try it again right away.

I had this same issue with a Compaq, it worked!

Good luck.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dell restore CDs are true XP CDs, rebadged. Just an FYI.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did have to search for this answer as i had heard of it but old tired memory couldnt remember a possible work around.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255106 a 2k issue but may well work for XP, the Winnt32.msi is located near the bottom of the i386 folder on your cd.

the one circled in red
    [​IMG]

11. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Why doesn't that surprise me....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds