Remote access connection manager won't start

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripseven, Jul 14, 2006.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

Good Morning,

I purchased a used Compaq with Windows 2000 Professional NT on it. I installed Windows XP Pro over that. Everything fine. I next installed a modem. I next attempted to open a new network connection. It will not allow me to choose modem as an option, only what it is set for and that is a broaband connection. I keep getting Error 711. This is telling me that remote access connection manager failed to start. I have followed the instuctions( went into services, this was set to manual and set it to auto as well as selected start). The next error messsage I get is "error 5". Should I remove the network card altogether? Also, device manager tells me the modem is functioning and there are no conflicts.

Thanks for any help offered!
    Bill

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

are you trying to dial up to the internet with a modem?

3. tripseven

Yes exactly.

4. padams

padams First Sergeant

ok, lets see if this will work. if you've already tried this let me know.

control panel > internet options > connections tab > add > then go through setup.

5. tripseven

I found some info on this at microsoft. Seems this sometimes happens with XP home and pro. Will try there fixes first. Thnx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds