Remote Access, Pros and cons

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Jun 6, 2014.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I've been using Teamviewer, well I was until I had to do a Factory Restore last week. Now, to be honest, I'm a little nervous to do the Remote Access thing again. I was helping my sister, almost everyday. I can do a lot of basic maintenance for her, and also just show her things that are simple for others.

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions on the pros and cons of Remote Access? I know the main con for me is if I do anything to harm her computer. But I never do anything on there that I am not absolutely positive of what I am doing. I do mean I do the simplest things like adjust her settings in her email, run her anti-virus, just things like that. Sometimes she'll try downloading some program (she is older and "buys" into some of those "click me" ads) so I have to go in and uninstall a toolbar like Ask Me, something like those things is what I do for her.

Anyway, feedback appreciated. I guess I want to know how safe it is to do a remote session, I mean you are opening yourself up to another network/computer so you can get a virus, or give one, those are my concerns mainly.

Denise

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Denise

I personally do not like remote access at all (that's me and well, as I work in gov we do not like remote access outside our networks I see the disadvantages as well as advantages)_, but if you know the person then remote access is ok, the issue is with unknowns, but I guess you will not be doing that. So you seem to be ok if accessing a known PC and one that is a known person.

Possible you can gain malware from a remote session but if your security is up to date then you will be fine, can also remotely scan the other PC anyways for malware.

David

3. outdoorgal

This helped me a lot David, thank you. Yes, I would not want to help strangers, and neither would I want to try to help "some" relatives, :-D. I do keep my stuff up to date here, and that's part of what I do for my sis. I think I will go ahead and reload TeamViewer this a.m. She feels a bit lost when she can't call on me to "come over" on TV.

Denise

Thank you again;) Denise

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

outdoorgal...

I agree with DavidGP. TeamViewer is fine shared between individuals who know each other. Each session is begun with a new password, and this is very good protection from unsolicited connections.

TeamViewer is an excellent help client. Just 2 cents, but I wish MS had just been thinking that little bit extra of straight with their version of this. Sad that so many MS native apps go unused because of security concerns. It's really too bad that Remote Access and Remote Desktop are useless add ons...

Rant for the masses...

MS does not understand security, or these features would be usable since Windows XP, when they were standard on the OS (not sure about previous versions). I'm extremely weary of experts telling me what I can't do in Windows and then lauding the company which continues to churn out subpar products...

:mad

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Teamviewer and RDP are completely different.

With teamviewer, you have servers in the middle handing connections.

With RDP, you do not. With Remote Assistance, it is just two computers involved.

If Teamviewer's servers were ever hacked, there would be a problem. Purely from a security perspective, RDP > Teamviewer.

From a usability standpoint, Teamviewer > RDP.

RDP is not useless and never has been. It is just watered down for consumer usage.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

There was a notice by Ms that RDP sessions could infect machines. I have not heard of Teamviewer having that happen..yet. I run TV all the time to access my home PC from work and help friends and family - the only issue I have is the fake TV download sites.. I try to make sure they use the right one.

Just set a restore point on the PC before making changes, just in case. I only help people that are close enough for me to go to them if it does get whacked.

If your worried about your machine, you can try to boot a Linux CD and install TV, that way your system remains safe... or roll your own Linux cd with Teamviewer.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-your-own-live-linux-cd-or-usb-distribution/
    http://pclinuxoshelp.com/index.php/LiveCD,_Create_your_own

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Teamviewer filters traffic between servers, which would probably explain why they cannot infect each other (unless files are transferred). I wouldn't worry about infections, but that extra connection is completely out of user control, and could be a cause for concern at some point.

8. outdoorgal

Geez, all your info is great here, thank you to all of you! I feel way more at ease. I realize anything can happen, the best, I can do anyway, is keep my Anti virus/malware up to date and running;)

9. outdoorgal

I am using MG Donateo, for my downloads, anything you have I am looking for. Not just because you guys have helped me, but because I trust the site;) I like that WOT deal by the way;)

Denise;)

10. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Because, when you're on the phone it is easy to tell them to go to teamviewer.com..(which I think some must google it and click another link) & ask them if the see the smiling girl and the green download button... than saying go to majorgeeks.com, scroll down the page and on the left in the search type teamviewer, click search, see the next pages of link, the one thats says "download teamviewer" click that, now, are you still with me? look where it says download locations, click 'download at authors site', what? yes we could of done that... now click run.... and so on..

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not supporting the site that allows you to be here.

Hm.

How about:

"Go to www.majorgeeks.com"
    "In the white search box at the top, type teamviewer and hit enter"
    "Click Download@Authors Site and click run when it asks to run or save"

Easy.

I get one way is easier for some, but to rub it in the face of the forum that those downloads sponsor is pretty crappy.

12. outdoorgal

I found the MG download, I just looked for that, and besides, they've helped me so much, why not use their link to go to a another site. If that's what you are saying, it sounds like your saying just go to teamviewer and download. I want to help the site because for me to 'pay" for the sort of help I get here, would cost me a bundle. I trust MG links too, Denise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds