Remote Desktop Browse for More

Discussion in 'Software' started by dboiler, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

We have several desktops on our network with Remote Desktop enabled and use it frequently from homes to access these various clients. Works well. The one problem we have is this: After opening Remote Desktop Connection if I do not know the machine name and then click on <Browse for more...> on the Computer drill down, all I get is the domain name and our terminal server. Why can't I see the computers in the domain that have Remote Desktop enabled.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

From Microsoft KB281307 titled, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Are Not Advertised as Terminal Services Servers:

Use the attached .REG file on any machine you wish to advertise in the 'Browse For Computers' list of Remote Desktop Connection. The machine will need to be restarted for this change to take effect.

Here's what it will add/modify:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
    "TSAdvertise"=dword:00000001

Attached Files:

3. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Thanks Milty, but that regedit does not work. I tried it on two different machines and it didnt work on either.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Give it some time before concluding it didn't work. It may be that your master browser has some play in this. (if that's the case, you would only see the change after the next poll) Perhaps your DCs have to replicate the change, I don't know. I would give it at least a day.

But this is the solution from Microsoft, and if this doesn't do it, I'm surely beat.

5. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Ok, will do. I'll check again tomorrow and will let you know. Again, thanks.

Dave

6. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Well, I've waited a couple days and still no luck. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Dave

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Funny, I just tried, and it worked a charm for me!

Did the machines that got the registry key added get restarted? (They'll need to be rebooted before the change will take effect)

Also, we ARE talking Win XP Pro, and Windows 2K3 machine, correct?

8. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Yes, I restarted both machines and still no luck. One of the machines is mine here at home where I edited the registry. I have a vpn router with a static IP, so essentially a permanent vpn connection to the office. I don't think that should make any difference but I could log on to one of the machines at work and check its browse feature to see if it sees my machine and the one other at the office that i edited. I'll let you know. Thanks for the replies.

Dave

9. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

And, yes, we're talking XP Pro and Windows Server 2003 machines.

dave

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I believe that info, the browse information is transfered via a smb type protocol which wont work over the net, as its blocked at most isp routers, and probably even your edge router of your network. Just like you can't use windows file sharing across the internet. Now if your in the same network within the ip range it may work to browse as mada has stated. Good luck through.

11. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Mada and Colemanguy, thank you for your help with this and sorry I have not responded in quite some time. The regedit fix actually does work. We can now see the desktops computer name in the browse function. Thank you for that. However, we have to remote to the desktops by using their respective local IP addresses and not their computer name. Any idea how to fix that? The IP addresses are dynamic which, obviously, causes some difficulty.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

12. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sorry, so what you're saying is even though they are now listed in the 'Browse For More' list, but you can't connect to them?

Am I mistaken in that adding the names to the list was supposed to remedy this problem?

13. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

The computer names were not even listed in the Browse For More before doing the regedit fix. The computer name is now listed in the Browse For More, which they weren't before the regedit fix. But when we try to connect by computer name we get the error "The specified remote computer could not be found. Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and then try connecting again." This, despite the fact that the Browse For More function displays the computer name now. Typing in its IP address does, however, allow us to connect but you can understand how annoying this is to find the correct IP address for the computer we're trying to remote to.

14. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Of definitely!

This is still across the VPN link, correct?

What's the IP config of your VPN adapter when connected? Can you resolve IPs if you try to ping a hostname across the VPN?

15. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Yes it is still across a VPN link

The IP config of the VPN router is PPPoE if that is what you mean.

Nope, cannot resolve IPs when I try to ping a hostname. Hmmmmm.

dave

16. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not exactly what I mean, but I think you've answered my question anyway.

I'm guessing that your VPN adapter is on a different subnet, and doesn't have a route to your DNS server.

Here's how to check:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog, type 'cmd'
    3. At the command prompt, type 'ipconfig /all'
    4. Press 'Enter'

Note the configuration of your VPN adapter. Is it the similar to a physical adapter connected to the network? If not, how does it vary?

(Screenshots may save us some time)

17. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Ok, it seems the subnets are different.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-A5-0C-75
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.230.192.254
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.27
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:51:00
    AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 08, 2008 6:51:00 AM

Does this help you?

dave

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Just to be certain: this is a physical adapter, and not the VPN adapter?

19. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

yes, the physical adapter, not the vpn router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds