Removable Device Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by user_x, Apr 10, 2006.

1. user_x

user_x Private E-2

Check out the attached picture. I think that these removable device drives are just from the 4 USB ports on my computer. My question is basically: is it possible to rearrange the letters assigned to each of these drives? I plan on partitioning my second hard drive again, and I don't really want the drive letter to be halfway through the alphabet.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

By the looks of those icons you have XP?

To change drive letters

Goto Computer Management, their are two ways to do this easily either Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management or Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Managment

then once there... highlight the drive in the top right hand window and right click it, your given some options one is to change Drive Letters and Paths, choose this to change the drive letters then choose Change, next to Assign the following drive letter is a drop down box use this to change the letter to the ones you want ( DO note than you cannot change a letter to one you already have allocated, first you will have to put the drive letter your wanting to change to, to one such as X,Y,Z as this then will free up that drive letter to be used )

above taken from an old post of mine but should cover your question.

If you have an inbuilt digital media card multi reader then that could also be linked to those devices, they generally list removable drives like that.

3. user_x

user_x Private E-2

I apologize for not mentioning the operating system I was using. Thank you for the reply.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Also, I left out an important bit as you were not talking about the HD/partition letter the OS is on, but thought it still worth a mention...

DO NOT change the drive letter the OS is on as it will cause you to re-install Windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds