Removal of old partition folder after partition merge

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atkinson, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Atkinson

Atkinson Private E-2

I merged two partitions on my lone HD using Partition Magic 8. It took the former partition, and turned it into a folder on my C: partition called C:\j. Now, I want to remove this folder (I've transferred everything out of it) but I can't get rid of it. I've tried using attrib -s -r -h c:\j /s /d but it still wouldn't delete.

I've got a 250Gig HD running on XP SP2 with Intel Application Accelerator.

Thanks in advance,

At

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

See how this goes. Use the rd command.

Close all open applications.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
    Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
    That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
    Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
    Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

Don't worry if it doesn't delete it. There are a few other ways to try.

3. Atkinson

Atkinson Private E-2

"Access is denied"

I should have mentioned I used RD and RD /s. Within C:\J is a hidden system folder called "System Volume Information" which cannot be modified in any way. I cannot even change the attribs. If I try to attrib -s, it says, "Not resetting hidden file - C:\System Volume Information". If I try to attrib -h, it says, "Not resetting system file - C:\System Volume Information. If I try to do both at once, I get, "Access is denied - C:\System Volume Information".

What are these other ways I can try?

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Did you turn off explorer.exe in the task manager before trying to get rid of it?

Seach major geeks for access denied. You'll find all that you need there.
    Programs like move on boot & other goodies.

5. Atkinson

Atkinson Private E-2

Yep. Followed you instructions exactly. The computer really thinks it's still a physical partition, so won't allow me to delete it. I'll take a look at the "access denied" stuff here.

6. Atkinson

Atkinson Private E-2

I tried all the programs --the MoveOnBoot, Killbox, etc-- that were mentioned in that article. None of them could even look at the System Volume Information directory without a warning dialogue coming up. Any other ideas?

BTW, this isn't a critical thing for me, it's just for the aesthetics, and the challenge of doing something I should be able to do.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Allow me to ask a stupid question .... if you go to the control panel, open admin tools and check disk management, what does it say about that volume... does it show as a partition or give you the option to remove the partiton?

8. Atkinson

Atkinson Private E-2

Good question. It only lists my real Primary partition and the new logical partition I just created. Nothing mentioned about this volume-folder. It treats it as a folder except for when you try to modify that System Volume Information folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds