"Remove disk or other media" after installing new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgt_Pepper, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Sgt_Pepper

Sgt_Pepper Private E-2

I just installed a new 80 GB Hitachi hard drive into my HP Pavillion PC running windows XP Home edition (sorry, not sure of the exact model, I am at the library.) I originally installed the new HD as a slave drive where I copied all the files from my old HD (I had received a SMART warning of imminent failure.) After the copy was complete (using the included software, OnTrack) I was instructed to reboot and place the new hardrive in the Master position, the old in Slave. I originally tried to boot without my old one in at all and received an error "Remove disk or other media, press any key to restart". There was no disk in any of the drives. I have tried rebooting with my old in as slave, to no avail. My computer still works when I install my old harddrive back into the Master position, but will not work at all with the new drive in as Master. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. In case anyone was wondering I did check the jumpers on the pins of both harddrives and have switched them every time accoring to the configuration I was trying. The floppy drive, with the old HD, does work, as do all other drives. When examining the new drive all the files have been copied. Seems like a BIOS or hardware issue. I am calling Hitachi tommorow if this is still an issue.

2. Phredrick

Phredrick Private E-2

So you just copied everything over and didn't install? I'm not too familiar with booting protocol but the fact that you didn't install a new operating system is different than if you just copy an operating system over. If you still have all of your stuff on the original drive, put the hitachi in as master and boot with your xp home cd or other recovery cd that came with your computer. If you want to install a new master hdd then you have to reinstall an operating system. If you don't have a windows boot disk or other recovery boot disk and you purchased your pc legally and new, you could probably get HP or Microsoft to send you a copy since you own the rights to it. As far as I can tell nothing is wrong with your new HDD yet.

3. Sgt_Pepper

Sgt_Pepper Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I tried to reinstall my operating system, first through repair with my Windows XP upgrade CD and then with the original recovery disk that comes with windows ME. After each attempt I reboot and receive the message "NTLDR is missing. Press any key to restart." Do I need to do this with my old drive in as slave, or will it work without it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again for your time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds