Remove duplicate documents folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by wpuryear, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpuryear

wpuryear Private E-2

On my XP SP3 machine how can I remove the duplicate 'Documents' folder under My Computer as shown below. I know it simply points to my documents, but I find it unnecessary clutter.

Thanks,
    Walt

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The top mentioned My Documents folder which is under Desktop is the shortcut you can use if you wish to enable the desktop icon, and the one under My Computer is exactly the same one as you know but its the link in Explorer to the one on your HDD.

Both come hand in hand sadly.

3. wpuryear

wpuryear Private E-2

Thanks for the reply but is there a way to remove the link.

Walt

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Walt

Not as far as I know, as if removed its likely to recreate itself or at worst if removed also remove all your documents saved in that folder.

I did load up XP earlier to have a look and tried a few things out and not much in Group Policy (Group Policy is only in XP Pro) and it would not allow me to make the folder hidden also.

I will do some digging and see if it can be removed or hidden via a registry edit or other means but not coming up with much so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds