remove "hidden" attribute on files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulsiam, Apr 15, 2012.

1. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

I am using XP Pro SP3.
    Drive c has all the programs; i partitioned and made drive d. I also have an external called drive e. I try to keep all files on D & E synchronized.
    BUT:
    more than half of the folders on D & E have the "hidden attribute". I can see and use and modify everything (administrator); no problem. But how can I get rid of the attribute "hidden"? Some of the folders are darker yellow/orange meaning not hidden; most are light yellow/orange, meaning hidden. And if I go to properties of a folder, it shows folder as hidden but that option is also greyed out so that I cannot make changes by unticking Hidden. (see attachment).

On folder options, i have already enabled Show hidden folders, Show system folders, etc . Still does not help.

I have run Malwarebytes and there are no spyware etc.

Any advice most appreciated.
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Try this-

Enter safe mode F8,sign in as administrator,my computer,manage,local users and groups,groups,administrators,add and assign your account name administrator privalages.

http://www.technipages.com/xp-show-hidden-files-and-folders-doesnt-work.html

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

thank you for the reply

it is already set as 1

any other hints?

Paul

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Can you untick "Read-only" from the screenshot you posted?
    Then see if doing this allows you to untick "Hidden".

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think using some variation of the attrib command will allow you to change the hidden attribute. I'm not sure of the exact syntax needed to get it to work on all the subdirectories. Maybe someone can jump in with a suggestion. MS article on attrib options: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/attrib.mspx?mfr=true

This thread has a couple of examples you could try. These two look like the most likely:

I've also used attribute changer which basically runs the attrib command but from the graphical interface. You have to install the program and it adds a right-click option to your context menu and then you can just right-click a file/folder and choose to change its attributes. (I don't have it installed on this computer but I remember it being a bit strange in that when you go to clear or check a box say for Hidden attribute there are three options one is clear the box, one is a checkmark and one is a solid color. I don't remember the difference but you just need to clear it and there is a .pdf included with documentation.)
    http://www.petges.lu/product/screenshots/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. paulsiam

paulsiam Private E-2

thank you
    this worked perfectly
    attrib -H -S \*.* /S /D
    Paul

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds