Remove item under context menu/new in Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by stevvie, Mar 29, 2010.

1. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

You know when you right click an empty area in a folder and then select new, you get a list of stuff like folder,shortcut,briefcase...... How do you edit this list in windows7 ? In XP it was as easy as going to MS site and installing tweak UI, but I cant find a tweak UI for win7.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Check out this link, I think you'll find it helpful!
    ;)

3. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

I don't want to edit the MAIN context menu only the NEW files'folder part, I found that link when I googled. but thanks anyway

4. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi stevvie,

1. Go to Start/Run type in regedit and click ok.
    2. Click Computer on the top of the menu tree to highlight it.
    3. Next, click Edit on the menu at the top and select Find...
    4. Type in briefcase and click Find Next.

regedit will find the first briefcase entry. This isn't the one you want. Press F3 on the keyboard to continue the search. The section you're looking for is at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase

Once you get there, look to the right and you'll see a string value named Default. (see pic attached). Within that value is the context menu handler value data named Briefcase. Removing the value data Briefcase will remove the entry in the New menu.

*before removing the entry, right click on the Briefcase subkey (yellow folder) on the left and select Export from the menu that appears. Backup this subkey in case you want to restore the menu item in the future.

Complete the same basic steps above for other entries that you want removed.

Tip

If you restore the entries, they may not appear until you click a blank area on the desktop and then press F5 on the keyboard to refresh the desktop or reboot the computer.

Techsent

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

thanks for that techsent, I found that information on the new. I REALLY was hoping for a program that would get rid of ALL the one I dont use like windows live call, paintshop pro AND photo shop and others. I have about 16 and have only ever use 2 or 3. In XP you just fired up Tweakui and removed them.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I just installed the trial version of Tweak7 in my Win 7 RC VM and it has the feature you are looking for. I haven't actually tested whether the trial version restricts the feature you want, as I don't have any apps installed, but looks promising.

http://www.tweakwin7.com/

Attached Files:

7. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

Thank you Earthling, I will give that a go

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It may be blocked in the trial version. After finding that program I d/loaded their Vista version, and that feature is locked during the trial. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds