Remove Linux from muli-boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by augiedoggie, Sep 7, 2007.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have Kubuntu installed along with XP/Vista and I'd like to uninstall it. I did try doing it through Vista's repair but obviously no luck. What am I missing here? Thanks all.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I used a CLI utility to hack the Vista MBR, but found out later thats not so much needed.

I have it if you care to try it.

Boot to the Vista CD and go to recovery console.

Issue this command:

bootrec /FixMbr

I have no idea what bearing this will have on XP, but Im thinking it will be fine.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

For future reference, install EasyBCD.

Install grub to your /boot partition, and use EasyBCD to add a grub pointer to the Vista MBR. That way, removal is as simple as removing the pointer via EasyBCD, and formatting the nix partitions.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Doing a repair, calling up the command prompt and entering bootrec /fixmbr worked great! It did not screw up my XP install at all. Thank you very much Adryn. Now to install Kubuntu on my other system and blow it all up.:D

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Good times :D

6. The_Box.

The_Box. Private E-2

A question regarding somewhere along these lines.

I am running a dual-boot system, and have my hard drive partitioned. I have decided to run linux off an external hard-drive. Is it possible to un-partition my HD? (don't know if thats the correct terminology)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds