Removed Firefox, now have IE problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by flyer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. flyer

flyer Private E-2

Hello All

I have wierd problem that I can't seem to fix. I had both Firefox and IE on my system until about a week ago, when I uninstalled Firefox. Since then, my IE operates as it should if I open it up from my desktop. I.E., my homepage comes up, and I can surf as I want to. However, if I click on a website address that is contained in the body of an email, a IE window opens up, and the page is white, nothing on it. The bottom left corner of IE shows "Done", and the address bar shows an address of about:blank. I thought I might have the about:blank malware, so I followed the instructions posted elsewhere on this site to remove it. But I don't think I ever had the malware, I think the problem is associated with the removal of Firefox. I re-installed firefox today, and if I click on a website address included in an email, a Firefox window opens up, and the website is shown. I tried un-installing my email program (Eudora), IE and re-installing everything, but the same problem persists. I can't link to a website from my email program unless I use Firefox. Any ideas on what happened here?

Thanks!

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

What version of Windows ?
    What version of Internet Explorer ?
    What version of Eudora ?

3. flyer

flyer Private E-2

Ooops...I guess a little more information would be helpful....

Windows XP Home SP2

Eudora 7.0.1

IE 6.0.2900

Everything (Windows, IE, Eudora) has been updated as of today, so whatever the latest version on the software is, I'm running it.

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Try to close down all Internet Explorers and run this command (Start -> Run...):

5. flyer

flyer Private E-2

Gave it a try, but no joy.

6. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Maybe activate Internet Explorer to detect if it is default browser:
    1. Start Internet Explorer
    2. Go to the Tools-menu and select Internet Options...
    3. Select the Programs-fan
    4. Check Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
    5. Close Internet Explorer and start it again.

Also check Set program Access and Defaults

7. flyer

flyer Private E-2

Bingo!

That did it. What a great site!

Thanks for your help...have a cyber beer on me...

8. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Glad you got it working. Will save the beer until friday, where it hopefully will be joined with some of its less imaginary relatives ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds