Removing and saving programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by keithMB, Apr 12, 2006.

1. keithMB

keithMB Private E-2

Hi all,
    I've a problem; I need to format my hard-drive but at the same time want to save some programs. So what I need is a program that will totally uninstall a program and at the same time save it so it can be re-installed later. Any suggestions?? Please!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You could try this ..... works well for me, moving from one partition to another and should be able to move to a cd (though I haven't tried that yet.)
    Move it, then see if it will move back to another 'puter and run properly before you assume its ok.
    http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

That won't work in his case.

4. keithMB

keithMB Private E-2

:rolleyes: Thanks for that - I suppose that moving across a partition is just changing things in the system rather than actually saving it all; so if that wont work after I format the disc what will ???

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You will just have to reinstall them.

6. keithMB

keithMB Private E-2

Looks like it but some of them are updated versions for which I no longer have the keys and/or the original CDs others I have bought on the net.
    Surely there must be some form of prog?

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you bought programs on the net, as downloads, surely the keys are sent via email. I'd print those keys out.

Question is, WHY do you need to format your hard drive?

8. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi KeithMB,
    Back in the "good ole Windows95" days there was a program called Uninstaller 4. One of the features of it was that you could "transport" programs from one computer to another. The program would locate all of the necessary files, dll's, and registry entries needed to transport the program from 1 computer to another.

Whether this will work on WinXP or not, I don't know.

If you go to Yahoo and enter Uninstaller 4 in the search window I found it to be for sale on Ebay.

Steve

9. PainterPaul

PainterPaul Private E-2

>>> Question is, WHY do you need to format your hard drive?

That is exactly the correct question.

IMO, the only thing which will work for you, either this time around or next time, will be using Norton or Acronis imaging software. I highly doubt you will be able to extract working software from one system, save it somewhere, and copy it over to a new hdd (in the same system). If you are switching hardware, I’d say forget it completely.

Image your current hdd and try to fix whatever issues you have, incrementally imaging the progress as you go. Restore as needed when it all blows up. Else, start from scratch and be done with it. And if you have to start from scratch, do yourself a favor and periodically image your system as you go for obvious reasons.

10. Robert

Robert Sergeant

My Version of Nero has a program in it called BackitUP. I tried it with a small program, then deinstalled the program as normal, rebooted then went to the stored program and it worked perfectly. So if you have Nero look for it there
    Cheers
    Robert

11. PainterPaul

PainterPaul Private E-2

On a reformatted hdd?

Don't get me wrong... I hope it works... my two-cents.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds