Removing Bloatware: Lenovo B590, Windows 7 Home Premium

Discussion in 'Software' started by EscapeCat, May 18, 2014.

1. EscapeCat

EscapeCat Private First Class

Hi!

With the help of my brother and my boyfriend, I was able to get a new laptop for my mom. I had it shipped to me because she is fairly computer illiterate and I wanted to remove any bloatware, install some decent programs I know she wants/needs, create recovery discs, and do all the updates so that she can simply open the box, connect it to her WiFi, and be able to use it freely. :D

That being said, I am a bit lost as to what is Bloatware on this computer. :( I really don't want to uninstall something that she actually needs, or will need.

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out? I will attach screenshots of her current programs. Please help if you're able in helping me identify bloatware. She really doesn't do a lot of stuff on her laptop. Browse Facebook, surf the net, play internet games, and buy stuff, mostly. She will also save some photographs to her laptop. So, here you go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I may be having another problem, too, as certain Windows updates won't stop failing. If that continues, I'll start a separate thread.) Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I searched the net in vain for details on the installed software. It would be nice if this information could be found in the user manual. Maybe I overlooked it, but I didn't see a single mention of software.

I think if it were me, I would probably run this by the crowd at the Lenovo forum here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/

Some of the Lenovo programs look important (i.e. RapidBoot), but maybe these same screenshots could be more easily explained by someone familiar with the Lenovo you purchased for your mother...

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

If you aren't sure what something is, you should do a search on it. Some may consider it bloatware, but maybe you might use it.

You also want to make sure it is actually bloatware.

You can start here and see what you can find about programs you have installed: http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/index.aspx
    (my suggestion is to just use the site's search function, not download anything)

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

OH and I both have Lenovo laptops and although not same model as yours the software certainly looks familiar. Early on I set about removing the 'bloatware' from mine but soon regretted it. I can't now recollect exactly what issues I had but decided to restore the initial state and start again. Afterwards I realised that bloatware on a Lenovo is rather more serious than on some OE systems and I do actually use some of it.

Having said that I'm sure some of it could safely be removed but I would follow the advice given and checkout those links first.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. EscapeCat

EscapeCat Private First Class

Thank you, everyone. I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one confused by it all! Haha. I was also afraid I'd remove something necessary, too. I'll also check out the links you guys provided. Thanks so much for all your advice!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds