Removing dual boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by theboyfromoz, Nov 13, 2004.

1. theboyfromoz

theboyfromoz Private E-2

I used to have Win2000 and WinXP on my PC on a dual boot config. I removed Win2K a while back, but left the boot partition in place (small FAT32 boot partitition C with WinXP on an NTFS partition D:

To clean things up, I decided to remove the C boot partition and get WinXP booting normally off D.

To do this, I copied the boot files from C to D and modified the boot.ini on D point to the first drive, first partition, WINDOWS folder. Then I deleted the C partition and reallocated the space to D.

It all seems to work OK, the the boot drive is still D. To clean things up I'd like to make it C again. If I change drive letters using PartitionMagic, it warns me that Win XP may no longer work.

What's the risk here? What can I do to make sure it works? Too much junk there now to consider reinstalling XP except in a total disaster.

Tony

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

The Windows-Registry is cluttered with references to the bootdrive-letter (D), so it is probably a bad idea to change it around.

3. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

HI, If it works leave it alone. Rule No1.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You will probably hose XP if you try to change it.

2k allowed you to do it, but not XP.

5. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I agree, leave it as is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds