removing Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by Greatgranny, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatgranny

Greatgranny Private E-2

I am running Microsift Windows XP Serv Pk 2. HP Pavillion Home Edition;AMD Anthlon Xp3000; I am on dial-up and use Earthlink For my ISP. I thought I was updating my IE6 to IE7 but for some reason I got IE8. When I started
    my computer yesterday there were 49 blank pages that loaded. I use a "home page" from Earthlink.
    THE BIG QUESTION IS I AM IN TROUBLE ....I went into MSn for help in getting rid of IE8 and went to add and remove program about 3:00pm. it looks as if it's "coping" files but there is also a copy error that says Setup cannot copy the file iesupp.chm.
    Now the Windows Internet Explorer 8 Removal Wixard is still "coping files" or at least appears to be. There is a check mark by the deleting files ; the next line says coping files...iesupp.chm to C:\Windows\help.
    This has been running since about three o'clock does it really take this long ?
    When I try to cancel I am told do you want to continue setup without coping files? If you cancel now windows might not work correctly.
    What can/do I need to do?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Can you try a system restore, to any point before this download?

Could be because of dial up, you got a glitch in the update.:wave:wave

3. Greatgranny

Greatgranny Private E-2

Tank You Brandypeppy
    I just gave up when trying to remove the IE8 because it had been "removing" for nearly eight hours. I took a chance and just kept clicking cancel. It finally cancelled. All the remove box was in green no white showing so I knew it was stuck or something, I did go to the "read me" about the Malware issue but I can't copy and paste from my tool bar.
    I can't highlight ,copy, and paste anything or print either. So I guess I will just have to take it into town and see how sick it is, since I can't copy,paste and print your instructions.
    You said try system restore and yes I will try that.THANJK YOU VERY MUCH !

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

From a command prompt, type SFC /scannow
    Noting the space before the /

But try the restore first.
    Can you perform the functions in safe mode with networking? Or are you just taking somewhere to get fixed?

Let us know if we can be of any more help! :wave:wave

5. Greatgranny

Greatgranny Private E-2

I just am not that familar with the safe mode. But when I back up to a previous time
    I just cut everything off and pick a date (if I can remember a good one) I really need to
    just BUY a good package of anti-virus,antispyware, Malware,etc. Right now I removed
    it in order for Earthlink to assist in restoring my e-mail. They told me it had been corrupted. I just have a lot of e-mails I have saved (during this last political fiasco).
    I will clean it up as best I can and run system restore.
    Did you know I can't sign out?

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Don't go buying anything. Read this sticky HERE

Yes, just pick a date before the problems. And post back if you need any help with anything at all. Lots of knowledgeable people hear to help.

7. Greatgranny

Greatgranny Private E-2

Brandypeppy
    I tried the systemback-up and it would not give me a back-up date other
    than April 15th and since this would not help I didn't do the system back-upto an earlier time.
    I did however after reading the post about keeping windows updated go into windows update and let them update everything. I am not running the Adobe reader/abode active X as I deleted them to make more room on the disk for defrag (?). I can't defrag the "D" drive. There are some MORE up dates in the yellow shield so I am going to let them install. Then the only UPDATE left is the Windows XP Sp 3 and that is going to take 12 hrs. on my dial-up.

I want to download an antri-malware, anti-virus,and a firewall and run them before I download the Windows Sp3.

I did try go into my "D" Drive from the system and it would not let me open it. I think this is where all the information for my system back-ups are.
    I want to remove some "other" windows features such as Dancer(?) don't know what that does and some others like it but I know that these programs
    don't run by themselves and probably share features with other pertinent programs and I am hesitant to remove them.
    I still cannot copy and paste.
    There are no icons on my page as for tools and can't get to the internet system to delete cookies,,etc. even from Control panel.

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I did try go into my "D" Drive from the system and it would not let me open it. I think this is where all the information for my system back-ups are.
    I want to remove some "other" windows features such as Dancer(?) don't know what that does and some others like it but I know that these programs
    don't run by themselves and probably share features with other pertinent programs and I am hesitant to remove them.
    I still cannot copy and paste.
    There are no icons on my page as for tools and can't get to the internet system to delete cookies,,etc. even from Control panel.

Your D drive is probably for your system recovery files, which it is starting to sound like you may need.

Yes, you can and should get rid of Dancer. Post other questionable programs here.

Can't copy and paste where?

No icons for tools where?

In the control panel, you can't open Internet Options and clean out cookies and files?

If the previous three items are true, you either have an infection or very corrupt system. You had better save all data you want; word documents, pictures, emails, etc. Because you may need to do a reinstall and this would be lost. It is possible a repair will work too. Do you have recovery disks? Do you get an option for a recovery console or system recovery message on boot-up? If a repair works, your data should be okay, I said should.:wave

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

10. Greatgranny

Greatgranny Private E-2

Hello USAFveteren
    I have the sp3 in my update shield now. I will go ahead and download it after
    I download an anti-viru,Anit-Malware, and a firewall and run them.
    Then I will download the SP3.
    I really have nothing to lose now as I have deleted everything except my geneology search and I can re-do that pretty quick IF I don't lose my Computer all to gether.
    Thank You so much for your input. I just wish I could have copied and printed out the instructions that Brandypeppy led me to look at. I really think that would fix the problem.
    Again THANK YOU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds