Removing Old Java Before New 6?

Discussion in 'Software' started by me-again, Mar 27, 2007.

1. me-again

me-again Private E-2

My user name isn't "me-again" for no reason...

I need to download Java 6, I've been told, but I have tons of files that come up when I do a search for Java to remove the Java 5.0...how the heck do I know what to remove?

Some have extensions for my Spyware Doctor, say things like plug-in for Netscape navigator (I never use Netscape!), and other references to software programs I DO USE.

I'm really not a total idiot on the computer but the 'insides' do throw me for a loop! Can hardly wait to start the malware cleanup! Yikes!
    B.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dont search for files and delete them, goto Add/Remove and uninstall the correct way as that will remove all the files, Note: you may see multiple entries for various JAVA versiond uninstall them all, if you manually delete them you will have left over files and registry entries.

3. me-again

me-again Private E-2

Thanks...I just looked and the only thing in my add/remove programs are the two Java Runtime Environments 5.0 Updates 10 & 6 ? I don't see the Java or Sun program in there??!!

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Thats correct, thats what you need to remove.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds