removing old java versions on Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Draklaa, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Draklaa

Draklaa Private E-2

I am trying to clean up a friend's computer and it has Vista. I am very unfamiliar with Vista. From what I can tell, if I click on a program in the uninstall screen (no "add/remove programs" in Vista?) I should get an unistall option, but I don't. How can I remove this?

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

It's under Programs and Features (or click Programs > Programs and Features) depending on which view you have, right click the program you want to uninstall, confirm uninstall. Are you logged in under an account with Admin. Privileges?

3. Draklaa

Draklaa Private E-2

I am on an admin account, but I do not get an uninstall option in the menu bar, nor does right clicking give me a menu. :(

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Are you in the Control Panel? Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features or just Program Features. Should be a list of programs there...does this computer have Malware?

Oh I see you're in malware disregard this post.

5. Cat_w_9_lives

If the PC has malware go do the READ & RUN ME in the Malware Forum, if you can't uninstall just continue with the processes (steps) Also could try a search in the Control Panel and see if Programs comes up that way.

EDIT - N/A OP posted in Malware

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do try Chaslangs recomendation of Your Uninstaller as he posted in your malware thread or this one I have had sucess with Revo Uninstaller ( you nay need to run this application by right clicking its shortcut and choose Run as Admininstrator so the app gets admin access to remove some components )

or follow this from Sun and use the Windows Cleanup Tool http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml to remove any referenced to Java.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I just noticed this as well on the MGs main page so tested it, it needs to be run on Vista only ( XP as normal ) as Admin to remove Java Runtime, so right click the application and choose Run as Administrator.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds