Removing protected files

Discussion in 'Software' started by tamarbri, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Recently I decided to have a cleanup. One of my auxiliary HDD's has a couple of files that I camn NOT get rid of. They were system files created 3 and 2 years ago. one is:> 9a6acee3b60d715af3f06f, and when I open it there are 2 files, 1 is mrt.exe. p, a p file of 4,388KB, the other is mrtstub, an application of 81KB.
    The other file I'd like to be rid of is:> 562af0ad08ab6f1e739321f78f6708; when opened there is this file, with the shortcut symbol, Shortcut to My Documents. This is 1KB. All these filenames are underscored.
    I'm sure there are more of these unwanted files lying aroiund. What are they? and how can I get rid of them? I've tried changing the permissions to me as administrator with no success.
    Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

3. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

4. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Thanks, Caliban.....
    I will take your advice, 'tis just that they bug me!!!
    Stay well and be happy!

5. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Thanks Rusty,
    Tried it but File Assassin does not recognise these as files...
    Guess they will just have to sit there..

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

You could use GrantPerms by Farbar available at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/grantperms/
    Just download the version applicable to your system. (32/64 bit)
    It doesn't need installation, just unzip and double click to run. (For Vista/Win 7+, right click and select Run as administrator)
    Type the path to the directory in the text window, then press the Unlock button.

7. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Many Thanks _nullptr,

Downloaded and ran GrantPerms on file 9a6acee3b60d715af3f06f, received the file unlocked message but....... It did not help! This file is still intact. I guess I'll just leave it be.

8. rjordan

rjordan Private First Class

What is the *exact* error message you receive when trying to delete these?
    What OS version?
    What is the exact file path to these locations?

9. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

There is one other app that works very well because it deletes files before Windows boots. It's called Revome on Reboot Shell Extenstion. It installs as a shell extension (right click menu). I don't recall where I got my copy but it was not from Major Geeks site. I googled the name and there are plenty of download sites that carry it, although none that I'm comfortable downloading from.

10. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Hi rjordan,
    The message I get is 'You need permission to perform this action'
    'You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder'

9a6acee3b60d715af3f06f
    Date created 15/12/2010 21:25

My platform is WIN 7 Pro 64bit. The file is located in the root directory of my F; Drive
    Thanks for your help....

11. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Thanks rustysavage....I am just about to give up on this unless fjordan has a fix.
    DUH!!!

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

13. rjordan

rjordan Private First Class

One further question.

Is the F:\ Drive where your OS installation is located as well?

A screenshot showing that folder inside Windows Explorer, right click, Properties, click Security, include that showing in the screenshot as well.

Once you do that I can tell you what to do that does not require programs that may/may not work.

14. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Hello again rjordan,
    I have the screen shot as a Woer file or Word pad..How do I get this to you?
    No, My F drive is an exterior HDD for storage only. My OS is on my C: Drive

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did you try unlocker?

16. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Thanks Adrynaline, I've downloaded 'Unlocker' and will try after _rjordan has finished with me!!!!!!

17. tamarbri

tamarbri Private E-2

Thanks everyone, the solution seems to make it not worth the hassle!. I shall just copy the offending files into one folder and tuck the folder away somewhere.
    Brian:-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds