removing remnants of avira

Discussion in 'Software' started by arariboia, Apr 28, 2009.

1. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Greetings - and thank you in advance for your input.

I had been running Avira AntiVir Personal Free version on my XP SP 3 computer. Due to poor installation and choices on my part, I started running into a lot of problems that were probably not Avira related, but I started to uninstall all recent additions. I used the uninstall program and ran CCleaner - both Cleaner and Registry. Eventually, due to some other issues, I had to use system restore to go back a week, at which point I still had Avira installed.

Now, I get these error messages that Avira cannot be found. As Coolboot did with his AVG problem (see post of March 2), I too have tried to remove every piece of Avira that I can, including through Safe Mode. I also downloaded the program again and installed it again, to see if the new install would correct the problem, but no luck.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to deal with this problem.

Thank you.

A.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

System Restore can be reversed, so might you be better off undoing what you undid and trying again?

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

You could try using Revo Uninstaller 1.80

That is a powerful tool so do take care when using it!

Perhaps there are services from Avira still running, have you checked?

4. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

thank you. I may have to go that route :) It wouldn't be the first time for me, I'm sad to admit.

Thanks again.

5. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Thank you for your input. Any special concerns re: Revo I should keep in mind? How careful should I be? Also, I didn't think it would be possible for there to be any services still running after repeated CCleanering.... How would I find out whether there are or not?

Thanks again.

6. Kestrel13!

Just when using Revo make sure you're careful to remove only avira.

To check for services running (like you say--doubtful, but let's see, I often see left over services remaining from uninstalls) simply go start > run > and type : services.msc hit enter > and check for avira related services

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

8. Kestrel13!

9. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Thanks again. Will try that.

M.

10. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Windows Installer Clean up... who'd have thunk??? Thanks, Earthling. Maybe that should be my first stop...

A.

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds